Prayers, devotion mark Gurpurab in Punjab, HaryanaNovember 10th, 2011 - 12:26 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Nov 10 (IANS) Illuminated gurdwaras, thousands of ‘langars’ or community kitchens and long queues of devotees were seen across Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh as people celebrated Gurpurab, the birth anniversary of the founder of Sikhism, Guru Nanak Dev.
Harmandar Sahib, popularly known as Golden Temple, in Amritsar saw thousands of devotees lining up from the early hours of the morning to offer prayers at the holiest of Sikh shrines.
Hymns were sung at the holy shrine and hundreds of other gurdwaras across the region to mark the occasion.
A special ‘jatha’ of Sikh devotees had left for Nankana Sahib near Lahore in Pakistan Tuesday for Gurpurab celebrations at the birthplace of the Guru.
Community kitchens were organised in all gurdwaras and thousands of people could be seen sitting down for ‘langar’.
All gurdwaras have been illuminated in the last few days.
Expecting big crowds, security forces have made elaborate arrangements around all leading Sikh shrines.
- Punjab celebrates Gurpurab - Nov 21, 2010
- Guru Nanak's birth anniversary celebrated with fervour (Lead) - Nov 21, 2010
- Gurpurab festivities begin across Punjab - Nov 13, 2008
- 3,000 Sikhs to visit Pakistan on Baisakhi - Apr 04, 2012
- From translation screens to ACs, gurdwaras go hi-tech (Feature) - May 02, 2012
- Pakistan Gurdwara invitation for Guru Nanak Dev 541st birth anniversary - Oct 22, 2010
- Chief minister cleans shoes, utensils as Punjab celebrates Gurpurab (Lead, changing dateline) - Nov 13, 2008
- Punjab, India celebrate Gurparab - Nov 02, 2009
- 1200 Indian Sikh pilgrims to celebrate 541st Guru Nanak birth anniversary in Pak - Nov 19, 2010
- Sikhs appeal to Pak to ease visa norms for pilgrims - Mar 03, 2011
- Hindus greet Sikhs on Guru Gobind Singh birthday - Jan 01, 2011
- Sikh pilgrims visit Pakistan - Nov 09, 2011
- Luxury train on Sikh pilgrimage across India sold out - Dec 26, 2010
- Green 'Hola Mohalla' festival planned at Punjab gurdwara - Mar 12, 2011
- Gurpurab celebrations conclude at Nankana Sahib - Nov 11, 2011
Tags: birth anniversary, community kitchens, crowds security, devotees, devotion, few days, golden temple in amritsar, gurpurab celebrations, guru nanak dev, haryana, holy shrine, hymns, lahore, pakistan, prayers, queues, security forces, sikh shrines