Prayers at boxer Akhil Kumar’s homeAugust 18th, 2008 - 1:52 pm ICT by IANS
Rohtak (Haryana), Aug 18 (IANS) Indian boxer Akhil Kumar has been training hard to get another Olympic gold medal for the country and his family is chipping in - his parents took a vow of silence Monday and are also organising special prayers. Akhil’s family has been holding prayers since Sunday for his success at the crucial quarterfinal bout Monday evening. The boxer’s parents will keep their vow of silence till the end of the bout.
“His parents want him to succeed today and in subsequent rounds and win a gold for India. It will be a big achievement for a sportsman from a humble background,” fellow boxer and friend Subodh told IANS here.
“After his last victory (over Russian world champion Sergey Vodopyanov in the pre-quarterfinals), he told me that he would try for the gold medal. He has worked very hard to reach this level. I wish him all success,” Subodh added.
Other family members have also been seeking the blessings of Hindu god Hanuman with uninterrupted prayers since Sunday.
Akhil Kumar’s father Sribhagwan works as a constable with the Haryana police and is presently posted in Rohtak.
Though Akhil Kumar’s family lives here, the boxer trained in Bhiwani town under coach Jagdish Singh.
- Olympic boxing: India's Manoj Kumar knocked out - Aug 05, 2012
- Akhil wants to retain Commonwealth Games title (Lead, superseding earlier story) - Sep 29, 2010
- Boxer Akhil desperate to win a gold on home turf - Sep 29, 2010
- The 'steel' behind Bhiwani boxers! - Aug 18, 2008
- CWG Boxing: Vijender moves into semis, Akhil crashes out - Oct 11, 2010
- Boxer Akhil lashes out at chief coach, management (With Images) - Aug 19, 2010
- Olympic boxing: Vikas Krishan enters 69 kg quarterfinal - Aug 04, 2012
- Indian boxers practice hard in Patiala for Commonwealth Games - Aug 11, 2009
- Deepinder Hooda wants sports university in Haryana - Nov 30, 2010
- Vikas Krishan loses a bout he won five hours earlier (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- Boxer Vikas promises a fearless show in London - Jul 21, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Manoj eases into pre-quarters - Aug 01, 2012
- Manpreet in quarters of Olympic qualifying event - Apr 06, 2012
- Mary Kom slams level of refereeing at London Olympics - Aug 14, 2012
- Indian boxers aiming for gold in London Olympics - Jan 20, 2012