Pravasi Bharatiya Divas to be held in Chennai in Jan 2009August 12th, 2008 - 8:29 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 12 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will inaugurate the seventh Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) in Chennai in January next year. Its theme will be the role of overseas Indians in India’s emergence as a global power. The convention for overseas Indians will take place at the Chennai Trade Centre Jan 7-9, 2009, with the help of the Tamil Nadu government and the Confederation of Indian Industry.
While Singh will give the inaugural speech Jan 8, President Pratibha Patil will deliver the valedictory address Jan 9. She will also confer the Pravasi Bharatiya Samman awards for 2009.
The workshops during the PBD will have topics ranging from “Indian Diaspora: Preservation of Language and Culture”, “Health Concerns of Indian Diaspora”, “Role of Diaspora Youth in the 21st Century India”, and “India As An Emerging Power: The Diaspora Factor”.
According to a press statement, a unique feature of the event is the Building-the-Bridges sessions on ‘Trade & Industry’, ‘Culture & Entertainment’, ‘Education’ and ‘Philanthropy’.
The Overseas Indian Facilitation Centre (OIFC) will set up a “Market Place” at the venue to facilitate business and investment.
Besides, there will be regional working sessions on diaspora in the Gulf, Asia-Pacific, Africa, the US, Europe, the Caribbean and Canada.
A website “www.pbdindia.org” will be launched later this month. It would provide more details and open the registration for the convention.
- 9th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas to highlight northeast region, says Vayalar Ravi - Sep 22, 2010
- PM to inaugurate PBD 2011 - Sep 22, 2010
- Pravasi Bharatiya Divas to begin in Chennai today - Jan 07, 2009
- Regional diaspora meet in Dubai this year: Ravi - Jan 09, 2012
- Pravasi Bharatiya Divas starts Friday, northeast in focus - Jan 06, 2011
- Trinidad and Tobago PM chief guest at Pravasi Bharatiya Divas - Oct 27, 2011
- Over 1,500 delegates to attend Indian diaspora conclave in 2012 - Aug 26, 2011
- Mahatma Gandhi's message still relevant: Vayalar Ravi - Oct 03, 2010
- New Zealand Governor General to be Chief Guest of Pravasi Bharatiya Divas-2011 - Dec 21, 2010
- 1500 delegates expected at Pravasi Bharatiya Divas 2009 in Chennai - Nov 11, 2008
- Cochin to host next annual Indian diaspora meet - Jun 19, 2012
- PM to inaugurate Pravasi Bharatiya Divas in Chennai today - Jan 08, 2009
- Pravasi Bharatiya Divas 2011 to focus on northeast, youth - Dec 21, 2010
- India's annual diaspora conclave kicks off Saturday - Jan 06, 2012
- Durban to host Africa diaspora conference - Aug 05, 2010