Pratibha Patil calls for restructuring IMF, World BankJanuary 9th, 2009 - 8:43 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Jan 9 (IANS) President Pratibha Patil has called for restructuring the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and the World Bank on a broad basis as, she said, the global economy is integrated.”We need to have a more participative and inclusive financial architecture for the management of the global economy that can be more responsive in preventing the recurrence of such economic crises in future,” Patil said at the valedictory session of the seventh Pravasi Bharatiya Divas here Friday.
According to her, sustainable economic growth is far too important to be left entirely to the market.
“The absence of regulation can and does create hazards. We have to create better regulatory systems and best practices in the management of capital markets as well as in fiscal policy.”
She said the growth impetus of the Indian economy comes from its large domestic market and urged NRIs to benefit from this by investing in the country.
The president also urged the ministry of overseas Indian affairs to explore the possibility of instituting a separate set of awards from next year to recognise the contribution of Indian workers abroad.
She presented the Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award and the citation to thirteen people of Indian origin for their achievements.
- India honours 14 of diaspora for enhancing its global image - Jan 09, 2012
- Annual diaspora meet begins in Jaipur Saturday - Jan 05, 2012
- Trinidad and Tobago PM chief guest at Pravasi Bharatiya Divas - Oct 27, 2011
- India seeks diaspora investment in energy, healthcare - Jan 07, 2012
- India's annual diaspora conclave kicks off Saturday - Jan 06, 2012
- Protect 'innocent bystanders' from global financial crisis: India (Lead) - Apr 22, 2012
- Cochin to host next annual Indian diaspora meet - Jun 19, 2012
- 9th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas to highlight northeast region, says Vayalar Ravi - Sep 22, 2010
- Over 1,500 delegates to attend Indian diaspora conclave in 2012 - Aug 26, 2011
- Trinidad and Tobago PM arrives in India - Jan 05, 2012
- New Zealand Governor General to be Chief Guest of Pravasi Bharatiya Divas-2011 - Dec 21, 2010
- PM to inaugurate PBD 2011 - Sep 22, 2010
- President Patil calls for greater participatory role of NRIs in India's development - Jan 09, 2010
- IMF calls for action to handle global crisis - Sep 25, 2011
- India calls for integrated action to secure growth - Apr 22, 2012