Pranab reiterates India’s offer for help to ChinaMay 15th, 2008 - 12:32 am ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 14 (IANS) India Wednesday renewed its offer of assistance to China, where over 15,000 people were reportedly killed Monday in Sichuan province after a massive earthquake. A devastating quake measuring 7.8 on the richter scale hit the southwestern chinese province Monday, damaging houses, roads and infrastructure that folded up like a pack of cards.
External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee wrote to his counterpart Yang Jiechi expressing his deep shock and heartfelt condolences.
An external affairs ministry statement said he also indicated India’s readiness to provide any assistance that China may require.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Tuesday had first offered “any assistance” in his letter to Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao.
“The prime minister has expressed deep sorrow at the loss of lives and property caused by the earthquake in China that struck Sichuan province yesterday,” a statement issued by the Prime Minister’s Office had noted.
In his letter, Manmohan Singh said the people of India shared in the grief of their brethren in China and expressed confidence that the resilient people of China will overcome this grievous loss.
Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Qin Gang had told journalists in Beijing Tuesday that the competent authorities in charge of disaster relief works and civil affairs welcomed the aid from the international community. China expresses it thanks and welcomes the offer, he said.
- India offers help to tsunami-hit Japan (Second Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- India expresses sympathy to Japan over quake,tsunami tragedy - Mar 11, 2011
- India offers help to Japan, Indians safe (Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- Manmohan Singh speaks to Japanese PM, offers more help - Mar 24, 2011
- India condoles Japan quake victims, 25,000 Indians safe - Mar 11, 2011
- Manmohan Singh condoles loss of life and property in conversation with Japan PM - Mar 24, 2011
- China offers aid to quake- hit Japan - Mar 12, 2011
- Japan thanks India for tsunami-related aid - Mar 24, 2011
- India, China to pursue balanced trade (Second Lead) - Apr 15, 2010
- India reassures China over Tibet, calls for stronger ties (Lead) - Feb 09, 2012
- India provides assistance of US one million dollar to Myanmar for earthquake relief - Mar 29, 2011
- PM condoles deaths in Tamil Nadu train fire (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Manmohan Singh hosts private dinner for visiting Chinese Premier - Dec 15, 2010
- We can develop together: China tells India - Feb 08, 2012
- Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao arrives in Delhi - Dec 15, 2010