Pranab in Odisha to seek supportJuly 11th, 2012 - 8:11 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, July 11 (IANS) United Progressive Alliance presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee arrived in Odisha Wednesday evening to gather support for himself in the July 19 election to the high post.
State Congressmen gave a rousing welcome to the former finance minister as he arrived at the Biju Patnaik Airport here.
Party leaders who welcomed Mukherjee at the airport included state Congress chief Niranjan Patnaik, Minister of State for Chemicals and Fertilizers Srikant Jena, All India Congress Committee general secretary and Odisha in-charge Jagdish Tytler and the state assembly’s Leader of Opposition Bhupinder Singh.
Mukherjee drove to the Congress office to address party legislators and MPs from the state. Several tribal Congress workers attired in tribal costumes performed dances and welcomed him with beating of drums.
His campaign in Odisha for the July 19 presidential election carries significance as the ruling Biju Janata Dal (BJD) has announced support for his rival and former Lok Sabha speaker P.A. Sangma.
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, who is also the chief of the BJD, was the first to announce the name of Sangma in May for the high post.
The Congress has only 27 members in the state’s 147-member assembly. It also claims to have support of two independent legislators. It has from the state six members in the Lok Sabha and one in the Rajya Sabha.
- Pranab hopeful of Mamata's support (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Sangma arrives in Odisha to seek support - Jul 15, 2012
- People taking interest in presidential poll: Sangma (Lead) - Jul 15, 2012
- Sangma to campaign in Odisha July 15 - Jul 06, 2012
- Pranab to campaign in Odisha July 11 - Jul 01, 2012
- Patnaik leaves for Delhi to back Sangma - Jun 27, 2012
- Congress, BJD trade charges over presidential election - Jul 01, 2012
- Naveen Patnaik is Sangma's proposer for president's poll (Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- A tribal should occupy Raisina Hill: Naveen Patnaik - Jun 21, 2012
- Sangma seeks support, not many takers (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- Patnaik accuses Pranab of buying support - Jul 02, 2012
- BJD to continue supporting Sangma for presidency - Jun 16, 2012
- Presidential election: Sangma's son meets Patnaik - Jun 26, 2012
- BJD backs Sangma for president - May 17, 2012
- Naveen Patnaik to meet BJD leaders Friday (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
Tags: biju, bjd, congress chief, congress office, congress workers, finance minister, independent legislators, india congress committee, jagdish tytler, leader of opposition, Lok Sabha, member assembly, naveen patnaik, pranab mukherjee, progressive alliance, rajya sabha, rousing welcome, state assembly, state congress, state congressmen