Praful Patel warns airlines against cartelisationFebruary 11th, 2009 - 3:59 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 11 (IANS) A day after Indian carriers, including budget airlines, decided to withdraw their promotional fares and hiked the base tariff, the government Wednesday warned operators against “cartelisation”.”The government is against any cartelisation among airlines. We will watch and take strict action in any such case,” Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel said in a statement.
He also assured that the national carrier Air India would “never be a part” of any move that is tantamount to cartelisation. “We will ensure that competitive pricing ensures better prices to the passengers.”
Patel’s comment comes a day after Indian carriers, including budget airlines decided to withdraw their promotional fares, which in some cases were as low as Rs.99 excluding taxes, and hiked their base tariff by up to Rs.2,000 per ticket on some sectors.
The minister had made a similar statement when two dominant carriers - Jet Airways and Kingsisher Airlines - announced that they will be synergising their operations to tide over the difficult times facing the Indian aviation space.
This had led to fears of cartelisation.
- Regulator asks airlines to explain fare hikes (Lead) - Feb 11, 2009
- Aviation ministry to look into air fares structure - Dec 22, 2010
- Patel rejects airlines proposal for fare hike (Lead) - Dec 03, 2010
- Airlines slash ticket prices after government intervenes - Dec 05, 2010
- Airlines reply to regulator on fare hike - Feb 14, 2009
- Airlines told to publish date-wise air fares - Dec 06, 2010
- Aviation Ministry, DGCA unhappy with airlines' steps to lower fares - Dec 13, 2010
- DGCA asks airlines to be reasonable, transparent on airfares - Dec 04, 2010
- Airfare to rise along with fuel price, says Praful Patel - Jan 18, 2011
- Anti-trust body, regulator ask airlines to explain fare hikes (Roundup) - Feb 12, 2009
- Hike in jet fuel price to jack up air fares: Patel - Jan 17, 2011
- Airline industry should do more to lower fares: Patel - Dec 14, 2010
- Praful Patel says, new fares suggested by airlines can't be justified - Dec 03, 2010
- Regulator asks airlines to explain fare hike - Feb 12, 2009
- Patel rejects airlines proposal for hike in air fares - Dec 03, 2010