Pradeep Kumar is next CVC: Sources (Lead)July 2nd, 2011 - 3:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 2 (IANS) Defence Secretary Pradeep Kumar was unanimously chosen Saturday as the next Central Vigilance Commissioner (CVC) at a meeting attended by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Home Minister P. Chidambaram and BJP leader Sushma Swaraj, informed sources said here.
Kumar was selected four months after the Supreme Court quashed the appointment of P.J. Thomas to the post as he faced corruption charge. The Central Vigilance Commission is India’s official anti-corruption watchdog.
No official announcement has been made so far about Kumar but the sources said the Haryana cadre IAS officer of 1972 batch had been picked. Kumar retires as defence secretary July 31.
“The name has been finalised. The government will announce it. I have not raised any objection,” Sushma Swaraj, the opposition leader in the Lok Sabha, told reporters.
A list of probable candidates prepared by the Department of Personnel and Training was placed before the selection panel.
Other bureaucrats whose names figured in the list included former Home Secretary G.K. Pillai, former Chemicals and Fertilisers Secretary Bijoy Chatterjee, former Secretary of Legislative Affairs V.K. Bhasin and former Urban Development Secretary M. Ramachandran.
On March 3, the Supreme Court quashed the appointment of Thomas as CVC and unveiled stringent guidelines for future appointment.
Thomas was selected in September 2010 as CVC by the prime minister and home minister, overruling Sushma Swaraj’s objection.
- PM holds meeting, CVC finalized - Jul 02, 2011
- Pradeep Kumar, IIT alumnus, is new CVC: Sources (Second Lead) - Jul 02, 2011
- Pillai opts out of CVC race - Jun 27, 2011
- Pradeep Kumar sworn in as CVC - Jul 14, 2011
- Were you misled or did you mislead, BJP to PM (Second Lead) - Mar 03, 2011
- CVC appointment: Moily meets PM, Swaraj to file affidavit in apex court (Intro Roundup) - Jan 28, 2011
- CVC should be above controversy, say former chiefs - Mar 03, 2011
- Apex court asks for vigilance chief's appointment details - Nov 08, 2010
- Congress admits CVC appointment was an 'error' - Mar 03, 2011
- Apex court, BJP question CVC's appointment, Moily meets PM (Roundup) - Jan 28, 2011
- New CVC will be appointed soon: Manmohan Singh - Mar 08, 2011
- Biggest blow to government, Chidambaram should quit: opposition (Lead) - Mar 03, 2011
- President cancels Thomas's appointment as CVC - Mar 15, 2011
- PM accepts responsibility for CVC fiasco (Lead) - Mar 07, 2011
- CVC Thomas 'fully eligible' for post, government tells apex court - Jan 18, 2011
Tags: bhasin, bureaucrats, central vigilance commission, defence secretary, department of personnel and training, home minister, home secretary, j thomas, legislative affairs, Lok Sabha, manmohan, manmohan singh, opposition leader, p chidambaram, pradeep kumar, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, ramachandran, selection panel, stringent guidelines