PPP nominates Makhdoom Shahbuddin as new PMJune 20th, 2012 - 11:08 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 20 (IANS) The Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) has nominated Makhdoom Shahbuddin for the office of the prime minister, Geo News reported Wednesday.
Sources told the TV channel that the decision was taken at a meeting of senior leaders of the PPP held late Tuesday under the chairmanship of President Asif Ali Zardari.
The meeting also decided that a session of the National Assembly would be summoned Thursday for electing the leader of the house.
However, former prime minister Yousuf Raza Gilani expressed reservations over the name of Shahbuddin during the meeting of coalition partners, who entrusted Zardari to nominate the new prime minister.
The Supreme Court Tuesday ruled that Gilani stood disqualified as prime minister as well as MP since the apex court’s April 26 verdict holding him in contempt of court for refusing to write to the Swiss authorities to reopen corruption cases against Zardari.
A three-member bench led by Chief Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Chaudhry heard a set of constitutional petitions challenging National Assembly Speaker Fehmida Mirza’s ruling over Gilani’s qualification as prime minister.
A seven-member bench of the apex court had convicted Gilani April 26 of contempt of court. The court, however, sentenced him only “until the rising of the court”, or till the time the judges left the court chamber. That was only for about 30 seconds after the verdict was handed down.
- PPP nominates Shahabuddin for prime minister's post (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Pakistan parliament to elect new PM June 22 (Second Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- PPP leaders pick Makhdoom Shahabuddin as new PM (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Gilani hurt his own dignity: Sharif - Jun 20, 2012
- Gilani stands disqualified as PM, rules Supreme Court (Second Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Gilani's disqualification a victory of law: Imran Khan - Jun 21, 2012
- Gilani's disqualification a victory of law: Imran Khan (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Gilani stands disqualified as PM, rules Supreme Court (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Race for Pakistan PM: PPP drops Shahabuddin, names Ashraf (Evening Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- PPP accepts Gilani's disqualification verdict - Jun 19, 2012
- Zardari fields Shahabuddin for Pakistan PM's post (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Pakistan prime ministerial hopeful Makhdoom Shahabuddin - a brief profile - Jun 20, 2012
- Pakistan not to contest Gilani contempt verdict - May 26, 2012
- Gilani's son to contest for father's seat - Jun 26, 2012
- Zardari calls for parliamentary session Friday - Jun 20, 2012
Tags: apex court, asif ali, assembly speaker, chairmanship, chief justice iftikhar, coalition partners, contempt of court, corruption cases, former prime minister, geo news, gilani, iftikhar mohammad chaudhry, islamabad, justice iftikhar mohammad chaudhry, mohammad, national assembly, new prime minister, office of the prime minister, pakistan peoples party, swiss authorities