Powerful quake strikes off central IndonesiaDecember 12th, 2008 - 6:12 am ICT by IANS
Jakarta, Dec 12 (DPA) A powerful earthquake measuring 6.3 on the Richter scale struck off Indonesia’s North Sulawesi province Friday morning, seismologists said.The quake’s epicentre lay about 101 km southeast of Gorontalo in northern Sulawesi at about 4:40 a.m., and occurred about 95 km beneath the seabed, the National Meteorology and Geophysics Agency (BMG) said.
Officials said there were no immediate reports of casualties or damage in the second strong earthquake to jolt the northern Sulawesi and neighbouring regions in less than a month.
On Nov 16, a powerful 7.7-magnitude undersea earthquake rocked Gorontalo and nearby areas on North Sulawesi province, killing at least four people, injuring more than 150 others and damaging hundreds of homes.
Another three earthquakes struck three different locations in Indonesia in the last six-hours, including a 6.0-magnitude quake that jolted Mentawai islands off the western coast of Sumatra at midnight Thursday, seismologists said.
Indonesia is prone to seismic upheaval due to its location on the Pacific’s so-called “Ring of Fire”, an arc of volcanos and fault lines encircling the Pacific basin.
A major earthquake and subsequent tsunami struck on Dec 26, 2004, leaving more than 170,000 people dead or missing in Indonesia’s Aceh province and around 500,000 homeless.
- Powerful quake strikes off Indonesia's Sumatra - Mar 06, 2010
- Quake rattles Indonesian province - Apr 15, 2012
- Strong quake jolts Indonesia's Aceh, tsunami warning issued - Apr 07, 2010
- Magnitude-6 quake strikes Indonesia's West Papua - Mar 13, 2010
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 2) - Apr 11, 2012
- 7.0-magnitude earthquake strikes Indonesia - Oct 01, 2009
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 1) - Apr 11, 2012
- 7-magnitude earthquake strikes Indonesia - Mar 14, 2010
- Strong earthquake rocks Indonesia's Sulawesi, causes damage - Apr 25, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes western Indonesia, no word on casualties - Sep 06, 2011
- Strong, undersea quake strikes off Indonesia (Lead) - Aug 16, 2009
- Strong earthquake strikes southwest of Sumatra, no damage - Aug 23, 2011
- Powerful quake hits Indonesia - Oct 25, 2009
- Huge quake off Indonesia prompts tsunami warnings - Apr 11, 2012
- Powerful quake strikes off Sumatra island - Sep 30, 2009