Powerful explosive device found in SrinagarJune 30th, 2011 - 3:33 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, June 30 (IANS) A major tragedy was averted Thursday in the Jammu and Kashmir summer capital when a powerful improvised explosive device (IED) was detected and defused by police.
“The IED was planted in the parking lot of a hotel close to a wine shop in the Boulevard Road area of the city. The bomb disposal squad of the state police defused the IED without any damage, thereby averting a major tragedy,” a police officer said.
The IED weighing four kg had been planted inside a container left in the parking lot of the hotel, police said.
The Boulevard Road in Srinagar circles the Dal Lake and is heavily thronged by tourists and locals.
Separatist guerrillas had banned the sale of liquor in Kashmir in early 1990s when insurgency started.
Prior to 1990, Srinagar had dozens of liquor shops which were closed down by the owners for fear of reprisal attacks from the separatist guerrillas.
Currently, the city has a few liquor shops which are run through licences issued by the state government. These shops are located in high security zones of the city.
- Army defuses 5 kg bomb on Kashmir roadside - Nov 17, 2011
- IED found in Srinagar, defused - Oct 18, 2010
- IED detected in Srinagar, defused (Lead) - Oct 18, 2010
- CRPF troopers defuse bomb on Jammu-Srinagar highway - Jul 12, 2012
- Timely detection of IED averts tragedy in Srinagar (Second Lead) - Oct 18, 2010
- Four IEDs detected, defused in Kashmir - Mar 15, 2011
- 3 kg IED device found on Srinagar-Baramulla National Highway - Apr 08, 2010
- Nine policemen wounded in Kashmir explosion - Jul 06, 2011
- Guerrillas open fire in cop's home in Kashmir - Jul 19, 2011
- 50 kg IED recovered in Jharkhand - Jan 04, 2011
- IED defused on Batote-Kishtawar Highway in Jammu and Kashmir - Apr 20, 2010
- Explosive-laden car detected in Srinagar - May 17, 2012
- Omar Abdullah rules out subsidy for reopening cinemas - Dec 17, 2011
- Hizbul commander behind south Kashmir car blast arrested - Apr 21, 2012
- Explosive defused in Jammu and Kashmir - May 20, 2010
Tags: bomb disposal squad, boulevard, circles, dal lake, dozens, early 1990s, explosive device, high security, jammu, kashmir, liquor shops, locals, parking lot, police officer, reprisal, security zones, separatist guerrillas, state government, state police, wine shop