Power will shift from secretariat to panchayats: OmarJuly 1st, 2011 - 9:59 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, July 1 (IANS) After having successfully presided over the elections to more than 4,000 panchayats, the Jammu and Kashmir government Friday pledged to shift power from the secretariat to the village councils.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, accompanied Rural Development Minister Ali Mohammad Sagar and Minister of State for Rural Development Aijaz Khan, visited the hilly areas of Billawar and Basholi in Jammu region, where he assured panchayats would have the final decision-making powers in development, health, education and other matters concerning the people.
“The secretariat’s powers will shift to you,” Abdullah told gathering of newly-elected panch members and sarpanches at the two places.
The 17-phase panchayat elections to 4,120 panchayats, which began on March 13, concluded on June 27, with Zanskar in Kargil district of Ladakh region going to polls in the last phase.
The elections were held after a gap of 10 years.
The chief minister has constituted a committee headed by Chief Secretary Madhav Lal to suggest the quantum of power to be transferred to the panchayats.
The transfer of powers to panchayats has become a major issue, as Jammu and Kashmir doesn’t have a clear description of powers for the panchayats in the absence of the 73rd and 74th amendment to the constitution, applicable in other states of the country.
In fact, Abdullah had recently tweeted that “there was opposition to the empowerment of panchayats from within the system”, but had vowed to “overcome all this and grant powers to the panchayats”.
- A Panchayati Kashmir: The importance of holding the Panchayat polls - Feb 10, 2011
- For Kashmir panchayats, an endless wait for powers - Jul 11, 2012
- 'Triggered AFSPA debate to force its withdrawal' - May 07, 2012
- Kashmir Youth Congress marches for more panchayat powers - Aug 24, 2012
- 82 percent voter turnout in second phase of panchayat polls in J-K - Apr 17, 2011
- Reap the democratic dividend in Kashmir - Apr 30, 2011
- Panchayats will be empowered soon: Omar - Jun 17, 2011
- Jammu and Kashmir cabinet meets in remote LoC village - Sep 12, 2012
- Villagers welcome J-K Govt. decision to hold panchayat polls - Feb 15, 2011
- Omar announces powers for village elders - Aug 28, 2011
- Omar Abdullah's security breached - Jun 10, 2011
- Nomination process begins for Kashmir panchayat polls - Mar 23, 2011
- Kashmiris have voted for democracy, development: Sonia - May 23, 2011
- Kashmiris have given fitting reply to terrorists: Sonia (Lead) - May 23, 2011
- Sonia visiting Jammu and Kashmir (Lead) - May 18, 2011
Tags: aijaz, ali mohammad, chief minister, chief secretary, development minister, empowerment, final decision, health education, hilly areas, jammu and kashmir, jammu and kashmir government, kashmir, lal, madhav, minister of state, rural development, sagar, secretariat, village councils, zanskar