Power cuts spark violence in Uttar Pradesh townSeptember 18th, 2008 - 5:58 pm ICT by IANS
Rampur, Sep 18 (IANS) Fed up with frequent power cuts, hundreds of people attacked a power station, damaged vehicles and ransacked shops in this Uttar Pradesh town, the police said Thursday.The violence Wednesday night also led to the blockade of the national highway linking Lucknow and New Delhi. The protesters burnt photographs of Chief Minister Mayawati.
The protesters attacked vehicles, including a large number of government buses. Many bus passengers were injured.
Shops were ransacked and carts overturned. An ATM of a nationalised bank was also damaged. A doctor’s clinic was also ransacked.
As news of the protests spread, people in other parts of the town marched towards the Nawab Gate Power House. The office of the hydel department was ransacked. But the employees of the power station slipped away.
Mohammad Azam Khan, a former minister in the Mulayam Singh government, had warned a few days back that the city’s residents would protest if the declared schedule of power cuts was not strictly adhered to during Ramzan.
Superintendent of Police Veer Bahadur Singh said nine people have been arrested on charges of rioting.
- 24x7 power for Akhilesh, Mulayam's constituencies - Mar 22, 2012
- Protests over power cuts in Pakistan - Jul 29, 2012
- Traffic between Vijayawada, Hyderabad resumes - Oct 04, 2011
- Power woes: Sonia's whisper stronger than SC order - Sep 02, 2012
- Train traffic disrupted, shops closed in Bihar - May 31, 2012
- Protests continue in Bihar against power crisis - Mar 28, 2011
- A word from Sonia means 24x7 power - Aug 29, 2012
- Army called as Jat agitators torch police station (Second Lead) - Mar 07, 2012
- UP backtracks on 7 p.m. closure order for shop, malls (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Three Maoists surrender in Orissa - Mar 05, 2011
- Protest against acute power shortage continues in Bihar - Mar 27, 2011
- Violent protests rock Bihar for third day - Jun 03, 2012
- Hyderabad shutdown called on Sep 30, rail blockade in October (Roundup) - Sep 26, 2011
- Rioting, blockade over power cuts in Hooda's district - Sep 02, 2012
- Shutdown hits Himachal, chief minister walks to office (Lead) - May 31, 2012