Power breaks down at international airportFebruary 25th, 2009 - 8:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 25 (IANS) The international airport was Wednesday battling power outages with no lifts or escalators working, a day ahead of the inauguration of a new departure terminal.
Though essential services were functioning normally, commuters, many of them with heavy bags, had a harrowing time with neither lifts nor escalators working at the dimly lit Indira Gandhi International (IGI) Airport.
The power crisis began Tuesday night and continued through the day Wednesday.
“There is no power at the airport since yesterday. Only emergency services are functional whereas escalators and lifts are not functioning, and there is a general darkness at the place. It has caused a lot of problems to the passengers, especially to the elderly,” said a passenger, Jaideep Sarin.
Asked about the problem, an official of Delhi International Airport Ltd (DIAL), which runs the IGI Airport, said all essential services at the airport were normal.
“The problem is in the main power supply of the airport and it is persisting since Tuesday night. But with the back up, all important and emergency functions are normal, including landing and take-off operations and scanners,” a DIAL official told IANS.
“All operational equipment are working normally. The problem will be rectified (soon),” the official added.
The power problem comes a day ahead of the inauguration of a new departure terminal at the airport, which will be able to handle all outbound domestic passengers.
- Operations at IGI airport normal after aerobridge operators' strike - Apr 13, 2012
- Operations at IGI airport normal after aerobridge operators' strike (Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- Power outage at Mexico City airport disrupts hundreds of flights - Sep 29, 2011
- Panel to probe Delhi Terminal-3 power failure - Aug 10, 2011
- Delhi blames neighbouring states for power crisis (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Panel to probe Delhi Terminal-3 power failure (Lead) - Aug 10, 2011
- Snag-hit American Airlines flight departs for Chicago - Jun 21, 2011
- 80 percent power restored in Delhi - Jul 30, 2012
- DIAL decision on integrated terminal next month - Dec 17, 2010
- Malaysian flight makes emergency landing at Delhi airport - Feb 20, 2011
- Chaos at Delhi airport's T-3 as IT systems fail (Lead) - Dec 17, 2010
- Power trip hits seven states, millions suffer (Afternoon Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- British Airways to revisit India play after airport charges hike - Aug 29, 2012
- Delhi airport gets in F1 mode - Oct 29, 2011
- DIAL to again charge development fee at IGI airport - Nov 16, 2011