Poverty stricken woman kills three sons, attempts suicideSeptember 4th, 2008 - 10:23 pm ICT by IANS
Salem (Tamil Nadu), Sep 4 (IANS) Driven by abject poverty and starving for the past three days, a woman allegedly drowned her three small sons, including an infant, and attempted to kill herself in a village in Tamil Nadu. Jayalakshmi, 27, a resident of Karippatti, a village 6 km from here, drowned her three children, Vikram, 7, Gokul, 4, and a five-month-old infant Bharatan and then attempted to commit suicide, but was stopped by her neighbours.
She was living in abject poverty after her family handloom business ran into huge losses, the police said.
Her husband Krishna has not returned home since Monday, and probably starvation and desperation drove her to take this extreme step, the police said.
“I have nothing more to live for after my children are dead and my husband may disown me when he returns for murdering our offspring,” Jayalakshmi reportedly told the police.
The woman, who refused food despite three days’ starvation, has been booked under section 302 Indian Penal Code (murder), police sources added.
Situated 250 km southwest of capital Chennai, this centre for textile trade in the state has been seriously affected by power shortfall and rise in prices of weaving inputs, leading to poverty in the region.
- Family quarrels lead to killings, attempted murder in Maharashtra - Jun 29, 2012
- Poverty-stricken woman sells infant to pay debt - Sep 04, 2012
- Woman held for making hoax bomb call - Sep 03, 2011
- Woman attempts suicide after killing her kids - Feb 04, 2011
- Three kids die, mother survives hunger-driven suicide - Aug 16, 2010
- Infant murdered in Hyderabad, parents suspected - Jun 20, 2010
- Woman drowns three kids, self - Oct 25, 2011
- Poverty-stricken woman kills kids, self - Dec 06, 2010
- Woman killed in Punjab for bearing daughters - Apr 17, 2012
- Self-immolation attempt to protest Rajapaksa's visit - Sep 17, 2012
- Three kids killed as mother jumps into well with them - Feb 15, 2011
- Step-mother kills two children - Feb 14, 2010
- After village court allows live-in, woman, stepson forced to leave village - Jul 23, 2012
- Woman kills physically challenged daughter, self - Sep 23, 2008
- Situation calm in Kudankulam - Sep 11, 2012