Postal stamp sought to honour India’s vegetarian heritageSeptember 28th, 2011 - 8:02 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 28 (IANS) People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) India has urged the postal department to issue a national stamp honouring the country’s vegetarian heritage ahead of Mahatma Gandhi’s birth anniversary (Oct 2).
Sending an application to the philately division of the Department of Posts, PETA said India has the highest population of vegetarians in the world.
The proposal also comes ahead of World Vegetarian Day (Oct 1) and Vegetarian Awareness Month (October).
In a letter accompanying the application for the proposed postal stamp — which shows three sets of two leaves each and reads ‘Vegetarian India’, PETA said India is considered by many to be the birthplace of vegetarianism and that adopting a vegetarian diet is the best way to protect one’s health, animals and the environment.
“Vegetarianism is catching on in countries around the world, and Indians should be proud that it all started right here,” said PETA India campaign coordinator and nutritionist Bhuvaneshwari Gupta.
“This stamp would remind people every day they can help stop animal abuse, slow the production of gases that cause climate change and keep themselves fit and trim by simply going vegetarian,” she added.
Quoting a 2010 United Nations report, PETA said a global shift towards a vegan diet is necessary if we are to curb climate change, reduce pollution, stop forest destruction, alleviate world hunger and conserve resources.
- Make Tihar Jail meat-free zone: PETA India - Nov 22, 2011
- Dhanush, Mallika named hottest vegetarians - Jan 20, 2012
- Olivia Wilde Voted As The World's Sexiest Vegetarian - Jul 03, 2010
- It pays to go veg - Aug 30, 2012
- India Post inaugurates National Philatelic Museum - Jul 11, 2011
- PETA offers to help Kingfisher Airlines through new ads (With Images) - May 02, 2012
- Body painted PETA activist to protest - Aug 06, 2012
- Bill Clinton Named Person Of The Year By PETA - Jan 03, 2011
- President Patil inaugurates World Philatelic Exhibition 'INDIPEX 2011' - Feb 12, 2011
- Shahid voted Asia's sexiest vegetarian man - Jul 01, 2011
- Move over milk, silk, leather - the Indian vegan's here! - Sep 19, 2010
- Hollywood-Bollywood come together for vegan cookbook - Jul 03, 2012
- India Post to print best tiger stamps by students - Dec 12, 2010
- Amrita Rao, a proud vegetarian - Jul 14, 2011
- Shera stamps do roaring business at Games Village - Sep 30, 2010
Tags: awareness month, bhuvaneshwari, birth anniversary, campaign coordinator, cause climate change, ethical treatment of animals, forest destruction, global shift, gupta, highest population, mahatma gandhi, people for the ethical treatment of animals, postal stamp, stop animal abuse, treatment of animals, vegan diet, vegetarian diet, vegetarianism, vegetarians, world hunger