Post-Mumbai, India still a safe investment bet: GermanyDecember 12th, 2008 - 10:34 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 12 (IANS) Rejecting speculation about India’s dwindling appeal as a business destination in the wake of the Mumbai terror attacks, Germany Friday said that this country remained “a safe place for investment” for European countries that are facing a global economic crunch. “India remains a safe conduit for investment,” visiting German Interior Minister Wolfgang Schäuble told reporters here when asked whether the Mumbai terror attacks will affect foreign investment in India.
“We have a serious economic crisis worldwide. We face a very difficult economic and investment climate,” he said while alluding to the global economic downturn that has adversely affected leading European economies like Germany’s.
The Nov 26 Mumbai terror strikes that killed 179 people, including 26 foreigners, sparked speculation about foreign investment drying up in India due to its exposed vulnerability to terror attacks.
The global economic downslide is, however, prompting Western companies to look beyond terrorism to India’s projected growth of 7 percent next year and a burgeoning middle class market.
- India, Israel sign extradition pact, to forge anti-terror strategy (Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- Germany to Pakistan: Banning terror groups not enough - Dec 12, 2008
- Germany lauds India's Afghan role, pushes UN reforms (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Indo-German trade to touch 20 billion euros: Krishna - Jun 22, 2012
- US pushes India on n-liability law, talks tough on Pakistan (Evening Lead) - Jul 19, 2011
- US backs India for UN permanent seat, calls for 26/11 justice (Roundup) - Nov 08, 2010
- India, Germany to discuss counter-terror cooperation Friday - Dec 11, 2008
- Sensex closes 45 points down, realty, oil and gas stocks fall (Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- US pushes India on n-liability law, Pakistan on 26/11 trial (Roundup) - Jul 19, 2011
- India pitches for Marshall Plan-like initiative for Afghanistan - Dec 05, 2011
- Al Qaeda hid attack plan in porn movie (Lead) - May 01, 2012
- US backs India for UNSC permanent seat - with riders (Intro Roundup) - Nov 09, 2010
- World must keep eliminating terror havens: India - May 02, 2011
- UK joins US in warning tourists against Mumbai-type terror attacks in Europe - Oct 04, 2010
- German apex court ruling on EU debt will benefit India, says envoy - Sep 12, 2012