Post Mumbai attacks, Indian Navy to commission first chopper baseJanuary 21st, 2009 - 4:56 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Jan 21 (IANS) Bolstering its coastal defence capabilities in the aftermath of the Mumbai terror attacks, the Indian Navy will Thursday commission here its first helicopter base INS Shikra, an official said.”The Indian Navy has had an air station in operation (in Mumbai) since 1964 with a small helicopter maintenance unit. However, with the commissioning of INS Shikra, the navy will have a dedicated helicopter base,” the official said of the facility that will be commissioned by navy chief Admiral Sureesh Mehta, who is also the chairman of the Chiefs of Staff Committee.
The base will provide maintenance and flying support to a diverse range of helicopters operating from naval ships based at Mumbai. Among the helicopters operating from here are Sea Kings, Kamov 28s, Kamov 31s and Chetaks. The station also provides Air Traffic Control services to all civil and military helicopters operating in south Mumbai.
The location of the INS Shikra close to other naval facilities here makes it ideally suited to support ship-borne helicopters of the Western Fleet as also their maintenance and training requirements, the official said.
“In addition, the proximity of the air station to Mumbai High and the Saurashtra region on the west coast makes it the preferred site to provide effective air support for protection and security of the national assets at short notice,” he added.
“The commissioning of INS Shikra will provide a shot in the arm to the growth of naval aviation. The commissioning is symbolic of the recognition of the important role played by naval helicopters in the maritime capability of our nation,” the official said.
- Indian Navy to commission its first helicopter base in Mumbai - Jan 21, 2009
- 'Indian Navy poised for greater role in maintaining peace' - Jan 22, 2009
- Navy helicopter evacuates crew from Iranian vessel (With images) - Dec 28, 2011
- Navy floats $900 mn tender for utility choppers - Aug 10, 2012
- India's third indigenous stealth frigate commissioning July 21 - Jun 25, 2012
- Indian Navy inducts Italian-built fleet tanker (Lead) - Jan 21, 2011
- India establishes naval base in Lakshadweep - Apr 30, 2012
- 'New Karnataka naval base won't eat into Goa operations' - Sep 03, 2011
- Western Naval Command's base depot commissioned - Jul 10, 2012
- Warships opened to public in Kolkata - Nov 18, 2010
- Indian Navy to majorly increase combat capabilities - Dec 01, 2010
- India inducts third indigenous stealth frigate (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- Crack marine commandos guard Obama, wife at naval helibase (With images) - Nov 07, 2010
- Antony to commission Indian-built warship Saturday - Jul 20, 2012
- Navy helicopter crew to get gallantry award - Jan 25, 2011