Posing as cops, miscreants loot jewellery showroomJanuary 12th, 2011 - 2:24 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Jan 12 (IANS) A group of 10-15 miscreants dressed up in police uniform looted jewellery worth crores of rupees from Tanishq showroom in Manimajra town in this union territory, an official said Wednesday.The accused, who were wearing police uniforms, overpowered two security guards and gained entry into the showroom after breaking its locks Tuesday night.
“It is apparent that it is the handiwork of a professional gang. There were around 10 to 15 accused who were wearing police uniform to confuse the security guards,” Chandigarh’s Senior Superintendent of Police Naunihal Singh told reporters here.
They overpowered the guards, broke the locks and also damaged the shutter of the showroom, he added.
“CFSL (Central Forensic Science Laboratory) experts have collected vital clues from the spot. Police will take some time to complete its preliminary investigation as it is a very sensitive case,” Singh said.
Police sources said jewellery worth crores was looted by the criminals. The exact estimate is not yet available.
Chandigarh Police are facing flak for their failure in solving various cases of murder, kidnapping, robbery and rape that have rocked this union territory in the past few months.
- Posing as cops, miscreants loot jewellery showroom (Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- Rs.100 mn robbery in Chandigarh jewellery store (Second Lead) - Jan 13, 2011
- Two held in Delhi, one in Ghaziabad for Chandigarh heist - Jan 16, 2011
- Police arrest ninth accused in Rs.10 crore heist - Jan 18, 2011
- Chandigarh jewellers asked to install security systems - Jan 23, 2011
- After heist, Chandigarh banks told to install police alarms - Jan 13, 2011
- Eight held in Delhi, Ghaziabad for Rs.10 crore Chandigarh heist (Lead) - Jan 16, 2011
- Dacoity accused attempts suicide in lock-up - Jan 21, 2011
- One more arrested in jewellery heist - Mar 24, 2011
- Rs.20 lakh looted from car showroom, guard murdered - Jan 17, 2011
- Burglars loot jewellery worth Rs.25 lakh - Mar 14, 2011
- Robbers loot electronic goods worth Rs.30 lakh - Nov 25, 2009
- Robbers flee with jeweller's bag, but only get keys - Nov 04, 2010
- Bhushan accuses PMO of thwarting Jan Lokpal bill - Dec 05, 2011
- Jewellery heist and 40 thieves! Did tribal gang do it? - Oct 18, 2010