Portugal fourth in FIFA rankingsSeptember 5th, 2012 - 5:55 pm ICT by IANS
Zurich, Sep 5 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Portugal rose to fourth in the new FIFA rankings published Wednesday, dropping Uruguay down a place.
Portugal won their only match in August beating Panama 2-0 in a friendly while Uruguay played out a goalless draw with France and saw ranking points from an old win over Japan expire.
World and European champions Spain retained the top spot with Germany second as England stayed at their highest ever third place.
Russia continued its slide losing another two positions as they were overtaken by Greece, who beat Russia at Euro 2012, and Brazil, up one place to 12th.
Belgium were the biggest movers among major footballing nations rising 13 places to 40th with a 4-2 defeat of the Netherlands while Austria went up 11 places to 49th.
- Russian Paralympic archers sweep podium - Sep 04, 2012
- US Open: Vesnina upsets Peng - Aug 29, 2012
- Uruguay take second Place in FIFA rankings - Jun 06, 2012
- England rises to 3rd spot in FIFA rankings - Aug 08, 2012
- Russia not in peak condition for Euros: Physio - Jun 06, 2012
- Paralympic gold for Russia in women's long jump - Aug 31, 2012
- FIFA allocates $699 mn for Russia 2018 - Apr 05, 2012
- Ibisevic puts Stuttgart past Dynamo - Aug 29, 2012
- Belgian wins 15 mn euros in lottery - Sep 17, 2011
- Putin to cheer for Russian judokas in Olympics - Aug 02, 2012