Portion of Rajasthan University’s science wing collapsesJuly 5th, 2012 - 11:33 pm ICT by IANS
Jaipur, July 5 (IANS) A portion of a three-storey building that housed the University of Rajasthan’s science laboratories for research scholars collapsed here about an hour before the classes were to start Thursday morning, police said. No one was injured.
Research papers of hundreds of students and expensive instruments were however destroyed in the accident, police said.
According to the police, the accident occurred about 8.30 a.m.
“The guard had opened the gates of the laboratories. A couple of students had also entered the building when they saw wide cracks in the rooftop. They ran outside five minutes before the building collapsed,” a police officer said.
He added that a team of district administration and police rushed to the spot.
“No loss of life was reported, however, several students lost their research papers kept in the lockers there,” said the officer.
The collapse led to a protest by a group of students in the university. They gathered the vice-chancellor’s office and shouted slogans alleging negligence on part of the university administration.
“The university has constituted a three-member committee to look into the mishap,” a university official said.
- Himachal building collapse: Owner, builder held (Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
- Students strike cripples varsity in Meghalaya - Nov 01, 2010
- Students burn effigy of Meghalaya varsity vice-chancellor - Nov 04, 2010
- Lahore factory collapse toll reaches 22 - Feb 09, 2012
- Building collapses in Chhattisgarh city, none hurt - Dec 14, 2010
- Shiv Sena demands suspension of Mumbai University VC - Mar 30, 2012
- Pakistan building collapse toll reaches 10 - Apr 14, 2012
- Five dead in Pakistan building collapse - Apr 13, 2012
- Vice chancellor, officials confined in office overnight in Bengal - Apr 26, 2012
- Meghalaya varsity students press for V-C's ouster - Oct 31, 2010
- To protest or not to protest - Panjab University debates - May 04, 2011
- Himachal building collapse: Owner booked - Jul 11, 2011
- Jalandhar factory collapse: one dead, several trapped (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- One dead as Himachal building collapses - Jul 11, 2011
- Canadian universities start India offices - Feb 14, 2012
Tags: collapse, cracks, district administration, five minutes, jaipur, lockers, member committee, mishap, morning police, negligence, police officer, rajasthan university, research papers, research scholars, science laboratories, science wing, slogans, thursday morning, university administration, vice chancellor