Pope expresses concern at increase in international tensionAugust 24th, 2008 - 7:36 pm ICT by IANS
Castel Gandolfo (Italy), Aug 24 (DPA) Pope Benedict XVI expressed concern Sunday at the rise in international tension and the danger of a deteriorating global political climate.Speaking from his summer residence at Castel Gandolfo, the head of the Roman Catholic Church spoke out against a return to nationalist confrontation, without making explicit mention of the conflict in Georgia.
“This has had so many tragic consequences in other epochs of history,” Benedict said in his Angelus, calling for the danger to be opposed.
Benedict said politics should not resort to violence, and the consciousness that humankind was joined “by a common fate” should be enhanced.
The permanent observer of the Holy See to the UN in Geneva, Archbishop Silvano Tomasi, also expressed concern at a crisis in international cooperation.
The multilateral system currently faced a crisis, and the conflict between Russia and NATO was a sign of this, the archbishop said.
- Pope urges international community to help Pakistan - Aug 18, 2010
- Pope John Paul II To Be Beatified By Vatican On May 1 - Jan 15, 2011
- Hundreds of thousands welcome pope in Madrid - Aug 19, 2011
- Hindus commend Pope on environmental stand - Aug 31, 2010
- 'Doves of Peace' released by Pope refuse to take flight! - Jan 31, 2011
- Syro-Malabar Church leader elevated to Cardinal - Jan 06, 2012
- Pope calls to renounce hatred as Norway mourns victims - Jul 25, 2011
- Unite to oppose gay marriage: Pope's envoy asks Muslims, Jews - Apr 28, 2012
- Bruni praises Pope over condoms comment to mark World AIDS Day - Dec 02, 2010
- Hindus want religions join hands to tackle poverty - Jan 02, 2011
- Roman Catholic Church slams film about panic-prone Pope - Apr 20, 2011
- Pope greets Queen Elizabeth - Jun 06, 2012
- Syro Malabar Catholic Archbishop Vithayathil passes away - Apr 01, 2011
- Pope accepts "humiliation" on abuse of minors by priests - Dec 21, 2010
- Pope Benedict XVI wraps up his visit to Spain - Aug 22, 2011