Pope calls for combating global hunger, loyalty of Chinese CatholicsMay 25th, 2008 - 6:13 pm ICT by admin
Vatican City, May 25 (DPA) Pope Benedict XVI Sunday implored the international community to do more to combat world hunger and appealed to Chinese Catholics to remain loyal to the leadership of the Roman Catholic Church. Christians cannot “remain indifferent before those who don’t have their daily bread,” Benedict told thousands of people gathered in St Peter’s Square for his Sunday Angelus blessing.
Hunger “is a growing problem which the international community is showing great difficulty in solving,” the pontiff said.
His remarks came just over a week before world leaders are scheduled to arrive in Rome for a June 3-5 United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) conference on the challenges posed by climate change and bio-energy on global food security.
Turning to China, Benedict mentioned the “difficulties” faced by Catholics in the Communist-ruled country who are split between those secretly loyal to the Vatican and those who follow the teachings of a state-sanctioned church.
“Together with you, I pray to Mary… our Lady of Sheshan to help those in China, who through daily hardships, continue to believe, hope and love, that they may never be afraid of speaking about Jesus,” Benedict said.
He was referring to a Catholic shrine in Sheshan, near Shanghai, dedicated to Jesus’ mother, Mary.
The pope then greeted a group of Chinese pilgrims present in St Peter’s Square.
- John Paul II beatified (Lead) - May 01, 2011
- Pope John Paul II To Be Beatified By Vatican On May 1 - Jan 15, 2011
- 'Doves of Peace' released by Pope refuse to take flight! - Jan 31, 2011
- Pope prays for world peace on Christmas - Dec 25, 2011
- John Paul II beatification ceremony begins - May 01, 2011
- Pope turns 85 - Apr 16, 2012
- Media has tarnished Vatican's image: Pope - May 31, 2012
- Pope John Paul II's beatification gathers 1.5 million people - May 02, 2011
- Pope recalls 'persecution' of missionaries - Oct 18, 2009
- Pope prays for peace in Egypt - Feb 08, 2011
- Pope leads midnight Christmas Mass - Dec 25, 2009
- Pope Benedict's butler to face trial for stealing letters - Aug 13, 2012
- Third Irish bishop resigns over child abuse - Apr 22, 2010
- Vatican warns pilgrims of ticket scams ahead of John Paul II beatification - Apr 11, 2011
- Pope delivers Christmas message after attack by woman (Third Lead) - Dec 25, 2009