Pope arrives at White House after greeting well-wishersApril 16th, 2008 - 10:17 pm ICT by admin
Washington, April 16 (DPA) Pope Benedict XVI arrived at the White House Wednesday morning for his historic meeting with US President George W. Bush, where an estimated 10,000 people were on hand to greet him on the White House south lawn. As he left the Vatican’s embassy on his way to the White House, the pope stopped to shake hands and touch the heads of several well-wishers gathered there.
Crowds of thousands lined Pennsylvania Avenue, along the route Benedict will take leaving the White House, in the hopes of catching a glimpse of the Catholic patriarch.
They waved banners with words of welcome in English, Spanish and German, and wore T-shirts bearing his picture.
They sang and chanted as they waited.
One woman, Christina Banks, 31, had brought her two children in from Stafford, Virginia, for the occasion.
Referring to Benedict’s remarks about his “shame” over the sexual abuse by priest scandals on the airplane as he headed to Washington, Banks expressed hope that the pope’s visit would help make things better.
“For the Catholic church, it will mean first of all that we will experience more healing from the scandals,” she told DPA.
- Pope Benedict XVI wraps up his visit to Spain - Aug 22, 2011
- Pope John Paul II's beatification gathers 1.5 million people - May 02, 2011
- Pope accepts "humiliation" on abuse of minors by priests - Dec 21, 2010
- Pope John Paul II To Be Beatified By Vatican On May 1 - Jan 15, 2011
- John Paul II beatified (Lead) - May 01, 2011
- Sex abuse victims meet Vatican spokesman - Nov 02, 2010
- Pope signs letter on child abuse cases in Ireland - Mar 19, 2010
- Sex abuse scandal overshadows Pope's British trip - Sep 14, 2010
- Pope greets Queen Elizabeth - Jun 06, 2012
- 4,000 cases of Catholic priests abusing kids probed - Feb 08, 2012
- Pope Condemns Sin Within The Catholic Church For Vatican Sex Scandals - May 12, 2010
- Hindus laud Vatican for Jewish concert and urge Pope to organize Kirtan recital soon - Nov 12, 2010
- Pope blesses worshippers via Twitter - Feb 24, 2012
- Pope Benedict's butler to face trial for stealing letters - Aug 13, 2012
- Pope turns 85 - Apr 16, 2012