Poor woman in Bihar sells child for Rs.62, cops begin probeJuly 15th, 2012 - 8:21 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, July 15 (IANS) Police have began an inquiry into a poverty-stricken woman in Bihar’s Araria district selling her four-month-old son for just Rs.62 to a Nepalese couple, sources Sunday said.
“I was informed that a poor woman sold her child to a Nepalese couple. Police have now begun investigation into it,” Araria police chief Shivdeep W. Lande told IANS on the telephone.
Shannu Khatun, in her mid-30s, who is struggling for survival, sold her son to a Nepalese couple at Forbesganj railway station, near the Indo-Nepal border in Araria, about 350 km from here, Saturday.
Khatun, along with her children, had left her village a few days ago and taken shelter at the Forbesganj railway station. She refuted that she had sold her child but admitted to giving away her child for his own sake.
But her eight-year-old elder daughter Sabina told some local residents that her mother sold her younger brother for a mere Nepalese Rs.100 (Indian Rs.62).
Syed Ahsan Ali, of the Railway Protection Force said Khatun had donated her child to a Nepalese couple. “She told us that she had not received any money for it.”
- Bihar woman missing after selling child for Rs.62 - Jul 16, 2012
- Woman who sold child found - still starving - Jul 19, 2012
- Bihar destitute woman is missing - Jul 17, 2012
- Poverty-stricken woman sells infant to pay debt - Sep 04, 2012
- Drug overdose common way to die in showbiz: Siddharth (Movie Snippets) - Jul 15, 2012
- 10 missing girl students found pushed into flesh trade - Aug 04, 2012
- Industrialist faces arrest for attack on journalist - Mar 03, 2012
- Protest against Bihar police firing - Jun 13, 2011
- Police rescue 25 minor girls from Bihar fair - Feb 14, 2012
- Suspected Pakistani spy held in Bihar - Aug 02, 2011
- Woman abducted from Bihar station - Jul 18, 2012
- Family quarrels lead to killings, attempted murder in Maharashtra - Jun 29, 2012
- Arrest warrants issued against Nirmal Baba - May 19, 2012
- Forbesganj firing: Senior Bihar cop in dock - Jul 09, 2011
- Poverty forces Bengal mother to sell child for Rs.2000 - May 22, 2012
Tags: ahsan, ali, bihar, brother, cops, couple sources, elder daughter, few days, indian rs, indo nepal, lande, mid 30s, patna, police chief, poor woman, poverty, railway station, sabina, sake, survival