Ponting says he owes his hundred to Greg ChappellOctober 11th, 2008 - 9:21 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Oct 11 (IANS) Whether the Indians like it or not, Greg Chappell’s contribution in preparing the Australian team for the ongoing four-Test series has been immense.The role of Chappell, a former India coach, has been appreciated by Australia captain Ricky Ponting.
Ponting, who came up with an impeccable 123 on the opening day of the Border-Gavaskar Trophy Thursday, rated it to be the most significant innings of his career.
“It’s no rocket science, but Greg was obviously a great player and understands the technique of batting very, very well. He’s a very, very good batting coach,” Ponting was quoted as saying in the Australian media.
“I think all of us over the last couple of weeks have had opportunities to sit down with him to talk about our games and how we can best adapt them to these conditions.”
“There’s no doubt he’s had some sort of influence on me, as he has with the rest of the guys.
“He’s been a great acquisition to our side already and his role back in Australia (as head of the Centre of Excellence) will hopefully allow him to spend a lot more time with us in coming series. I like the way he goes about his cricket and the way he’s working with the team on this tour.”
Chappell, however, refuses to take credit for Ponting’s feat.
“Ricky’s very generous giving me any credit. He’s the one who had to go out there and get the runs. He batted exceptionally well,” Chappell said.
“A hundred on the first day of the first Test makes a big statement as captain, particularly a captain who people were trying to put under pressure.”
- Ian Chappell concerned with lack of depth in Australian batting - Dec 22, 2011
- There is something wrong with Cricket Australia: Chappell - Aug 22, 2011
- Have no intentions to retire, says Ponting - Nov 24, 2011
- We have always put the team first: Clarke - Jan 06, 2012
- Pattinson, Siddle nursing niggles, but sure to play Test - Dec 16, 2011
- Chappell had urged Ponting to bat at No.4 in Ashes opener - Dec 30, 2010
- Clarke has till end of World Cup to regain form: Greg Chappell - Jan 25, 2011
- Ponting hindering renewal of Oz team by not giving up skipper's job: Chappell - Dec 30, 2010
- Ponting's best behind him: Mark Taylor - Sep 29, 2010
- Ponting backs Khwaja for No.3 position - Dec 30, 2010
- Ex-Oz captains praise Ponting's move to play and help Clarke - Mar 30, 2011
- Ponting must remain captain as Clarke is not ready to lead: Chappell - Dec 19, 2010
- It is time for Ponting to stand aside for a younger captain: Chappell - Jan 02, 2011
- Important for Sehwag and Zaheer to fire together: Ian Chappell - Dec 17, 2011
- Gatting urges Ponting to walk away from Oz captaincy to prolong Test career - Dec 10, 2010