‘Ponting contemplating retirement from ODIs’February 20th, 2012 - 9:34 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Feb 20 (IANS) National selector John Inverarity said Monday that it was unlikely that former skipper Ricky Ponting would be able to make his way back to the One-day set-up, given the need to prepare the squad ahead of the 2015 World Cup.
Ponting’s ODI career might be nearing its end after the 37-year-old was dropped from the squad for the remainder of the ODI tri-series involving India and Sri Lanka.
Ponting, who made 18 runs at an average of 3.6 in five innings, makes way for current captain Michael Clarke, who has recovered from a hamstring injury.
“Ricky is going to consider his future over the next couple of days and he’ll talk it over with his family and with his manager,” Inverarity said.
“He made a double century in his last Test match and we are hoping that he remains available for Test match cricket, but there can be no guarantees in elite sport and in the Australian cricket team.”
Ponting is the third highest run-getter in the history of Test cricket with 13,200 runs while in ODI’s he ranks second only to Sachin Tendulkar, having scored 13,704 runs at an average of 42.03 in 375 matches.
Inverarity said that the decision to drop Ponting was due to his lack of form and there were no place for sentiment in cricket.
“You don’t put your heart to one side, but the head has got to dominate,” Inverarity said of Ponting, who captained Australia to World Cup crowns in 2003 and 2007. “In elite sport, there’s no place for sentiment.”
- Ponting concedes he has played his last ODI - Feb 21, 2012
- Ponting axed from Australia's ODI squad, Watson returns - Feb 20, 2012
- Dravid pips Lara to become third highest scorer in Test history - Dec 17, 2010
- CA chief defends axed Ponting - Feb 26, 2012
- Clarke admits role in Ponting's axing - Feb 23, 2012
- Australia drop Marsh, rest Haddin for ODI tri-series - Jan 30, 2012
- Clarke says Ponting's ODI career may not be over (Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- Australia recall Pattinson, drop Harris - Feb 28, 2012
- Calls for Ponting's retirement grow stronger - Nov 20, 2011
- Ponting retires from ODIs, vows to carry on in Tests (Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- Dhoni sixth in ODI rankings after prolific series in England - Sep 18, 2011
- I've been dropped, not rested: Haddin - Jan 31, 2012
- Relationship with Ponting won't be strained: Clarke - Feb 24, 2012
- Stars to watch out for in IPL-V - Apr 03, 2012
- Career highlights of Rahul Dravid - Mar 09, 2012
Tags: australian cricket team, captain michael, contemplating retirement, couple of days, crowns, double century, elite sport, getter, last test, michael clarke, odi career, odis, remainder, ricky, sentiment, skipper, test cricket, test match cricket, tri series, world cup