Ponting arrives late, Bindra apologisesOctober 26th, 2008 - 10:04 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 26 (IANS) Australian skipper Ricky Ponting arrived late for the International Cricket Council (ICC) function due to an extended net session at Ferozeshah Kotla, prompting an apology from the world’s organisation’s Principal Advisor Inderjit Singh Bindra to the sponsors here Sunday.Ponting was to receive the Reliance Mobile ICC ODI Championship shield from Bindra, but he appeared almost an hour late for the function.
With media and the officials growing impatient, Australian media manager Philip Pope had to rush to call Ponting.
The venue for the function was initially fixed at the Taj Hotel but was changed Saturday evening, keeping in view the team’s practice session in Kotla.
Bindra then had to tender an apology to the Reliance officials, who were part of the function.
“I apologise to the sponsors for inconvenience. ICC is responsible to its sponsors. They are very important for us. It is certainly not an ICC culture and it will not happen in the future,” Bindra said with Ponting sharing the dias.
“There was a change of venue at a short notice and on behalf of ICC, I can say that this sort of thing would not happen again,” he said.
Ponting, after receiving the trophy, spoke about Australia’s performance last year but did not touch upon the issue.
- Andrew Strauss to get ICC mace after Oval Test - Aug 15, 2011
- ICC defends decision to host World Cup final at Wankhede - Mar 23, 2011
- This Se(h)wag does not wield the willow (World Cup Diary) - Feb 24, 2011
- 'Andha Yug' back at Ferozeshah Kotla after 48 years - Oct 10, 2011
- Ponting likely to face ICC disciplinary hearing for misbehavior - Feb 23, 2011
- ICC okays BCCI bail out for Kotla (Lead) - Jan 21, 2010
- Ponting receives ODI Championship shield - Oct 26, 2008
- Ponting denies smashing TV - Feb 24, 2011
- Ponting apologises for ball throwing tantrum in Oz-Canada tie - Mar 17, 2011
- Hilditch's PR bungle describes Hauritz's 'one-day record in India as excellent' - Jan 20, 2011
- ICC reinstates Kotla as an international cricket venue - Nov 23, 2010
- West Indies struggling against India at lunch - Nov 08, 2011
- Reliance Life launches literacy promotion project - Feb 16, 2011
- BCCI defends Kotla track is its reply to ICC - Jan 03, 2010
- Deccan Chargers hope to end losing streak against Daredevils - Apr 18, 2012