Pongal celebrated across the country in traditional fashionJanuary 14th, 2009 - 3:46 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Jan 14 (IANS) ‘Tamizhar Tirunal’ Pongal - the Tamil harvest festival equivalent to thanks giving - is being celebrated across the country with the usual splendour.The four day Hindu festival thanking rain, sun and farm animals is a mini Diwali in this part of the country - minus the crackers - celebrated on the first day of the Tamil month Thai.
People across the state got up early in the morning, put on new clothes, and went to temples.
The pleasant smell of ghee and fried cashew wafted through the homes of Tamils with the homemakers busy cooking the traditional as well as the main dish - Chakarai Pongal - made with rice, jaggery, Bengal gram all boiled in milk.
Special prayers were held in temples across the state.
According to homemaker Rukmani Srinivasan: “We celebrated the festival in the usual manner. After offering the Chakarai Pongal and helping ourselves liberally we are visiting our friends.”
- Tamil Nadu celebrates Pongal with sweet dish and thanksgiving - Jan 15, 2011
- Pongal celebrated with traditional fervour - Jan 14, 2010
- Pongal celebrated in Tamil Nadu with traditional fervour - Jan 15, 2012
- Tamilians geared up to celebrate Pongal - Jan 14, 2011
- Kites, feasts, dancing mark Makar Sankranti celebrations (Roundup) - Jan 15, 2012
- Malay Indians to celebrate Pongal in grand way - Jan 14, 2011
- Tamil Nadu government ushers in New Year with freebies - Jan 01, 2011
- India celebrates harvest festival in diverse forms (Lead) - Jan 14, 2010
- India celebrates Diwali with diyas, sweets and pujas (Round up) - Nov 05, 2010
- India celebrates harvest festival in many ways - Jan 14, 2010
- Tamils in Malaysia prepare for Pongal fest - Jan 13, 2009
- Indian Christmas with desi fusion fare - Dec 23, 2011
- With bonfires and bonhomie, Delhi set to celebrate Lohri - Jan 13, 2011
- Tamil Nadu celebrates Ganesh Chaturthi - Sep 01, 2011
- Delhi celebrates Lohri with bonfires and drumbeats (Lead) - Jan 14, 2011