Pomersbach admits to molesting US woman (Lead)May 21st, 2012 - 9:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 21 (IANS) Four days after an American woman alleged she was molested by Australian cricketer Luke Pomersbach, playing in the Indian Premier League (IPL), the case took a new turn Monday with the cricketer telling the police that he inadvertently touched the victim as he was under the influence of alcohol, police sources said.
A police officer claimed that Pomersbach, who plays for Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) in the IPL, has confessed that he was under the influence of alcohol and inadvertently touched the victim.
According to the officer, the name of another IPL cricketer belonging to the RCB team K.P. Appanna has also cropped up in the case as he was found accompanying Pomersbach to the room of the victim.
“Appanna’s name came to light after he was seen in CCTV footage recovered from Maurya Sheraton hotel where the American woman was molested during a party,” said the officer.
Police spoke to Appanna, a leg spinner who plays for Karnataka in Ranji Trophy. But the cops have not formally questioned him yet, said the officer.
The officer informed that they were yet to ascertain whether Appanna entered the room where the victim was staying.
Pomersbach was arrested Friday after the victim Zohail Hamid alleged that he molested her and hit her fiance Sahil Peerzada when he objected to the cricketer’s behaviour. Peerzada was punched in his ear following which he had to undergo a surgery.
The official said that Peerzada, who is a friend of RCB owner Siddhartha Mallya, was invited to the post-match party at the hotel.
At the time of the incident, Peerzada was present along with his fiancee, his friends Moiz and Miraj, and Pomersbach.
Pomersbach misbehaved with Hameed in the party.
“When she left the party along with Peerzada, she was followed by Pomersbach and Appanna after a few minutes,” said the official.
Appanna had come to ask whether Mallya was there in the room, the official said, adding Zohail had also corroborated this.
The official informed that they had recorded Moiz’s statement too.
Zohail had alleged in her complaint to police Friday that five to six members of the IPL team had pressurised her to withdraw the case against Pomersbach.
Police is not ruling out the possibility that she was pressurised to withdraw the complaint against Pomersbach.
- Pomersbach's lawyer denies he has confessed (Second Lead, Superseding earlier story) - May 21, 2012
- Luke Pomersbach admits to molesting US woman - May 21, 2012
- IPL molestation case: Victim's fiancee backs her version - May 20, 2012
- IPL molestation case: Peerzada discharged from hospital - May 21, 2012
- Australian IPL player arrested for molesting woman, claims innocence (Third Lead) - May 18, 2012
- IPL player Luke Pomersbach gets bail (Lead) - May 19, 2012
- Zohal seeks to quash charges against Pomersbach (Lead) - May 24, 2012
- Court reserves order on bail of Pomersbach - May 19, 2012
- Double whammy hits IPL; player arrested, SRK banned from Wankhede (Roundup) - May 18, 2012
- Double trouble for IPL; player arrested, SRK banned from Wankhede (Second Intro Roundup) - May 18, 2012
- IPL player in custody for molestation (Second Lead) - May 18, 2012
- Fiance of US woman better, could be released Sunday - May 19, 2012
- Double blow for IPL; player arrested, SRK banned from Wankhede (Intro Roundup) - May 18, 2012
- RCB player Luke Pomersbach gets bail - May 19, 2012
- RCB owner Sidhartha Mallya gets legal notice for tweets - May 19, 2012
Tags: american woman, australian cricketer, challengers, fiance, fiancee, hameed, karnataka, match, maurya sheraton hotel, miraj, moiz, New Delhi, party at the hotel, police officer, police sources, premier league, rcb, siddhartha, spinner, who is a friend