Polling begins on dull note in Chhattisgarh’s Bastar regionNovember 14th, 2008 - 9:43 am ICT by IANS
Raipur, Nov 14 (IANS)Polling to elect 39 of Chhattisgarh’s 90 legislators in the first of the two-phase assembly elections began on a dull note Friday, while a gunbattle between paramilitary forces and Maoist rebels in Dantewada district of the insurgency-hit Bastar region. Bastar went to polls at 7 a.m. to elect 12 legislators, while polling was scheduled to begin in most constituencies at 8 a.m.
Most polling booths in the region wore a deserted look. Brisk polling was only witnessed at auxiliary polling booths at 23 Salwa Judum relief camps run by the government.
At the same time, a gunbattle began between the Central Reserve Police (CRPF) and Maoist guerrillas at Sukma in Konta constituency in Dantewada district, police said.
The other constituencies that go to the polls Friday include 12 in Durg, six in Rajnandgaon, four in Mahasamund, three in Dhamtari and two in Kabirdham district.
The second phase of the elections will be held Nov 20.
- Chhattisgarh set for elections amid Maoist threats - Nov 13, 2008
- Maoists open fire at six places in Chhattisgarh - Jul 14, 2010
- Maoists block highway, damage rail track in Chhattisgarh - Dec 05, 2011
- Maoist supply chain busted in Chhattisgarh; 3 held - Jun 14, 2012
- Voting for first phase of Chhattisgarh polls ends amid violence - Nov 14, 2008
- Prolonged peace in Chhattisgarh surprises top cops - Mar 03, 2012
- Bastar votes in by-poll amid Maoist firing (Lead) - May 08, 2011
- In Maoist bastion of Bastar, 200 polling booths relocated - Apr 28, 2011
- Panchayat secretary killed in Maoist firing - Aug 30, 2012
- BJP government has no control in Bastar: Ajit Jogi - Apr 30, 2011
- Committed to restoring peace in Bastar: Raman Singh - May 05, 2011
- Bastar records 40 percent polling amid Maoist blasts, firing (Second Lead) - May 08, 2011
- Chhattisgarh BJP wooing tribals in violence-hit Bastar - Jun 10, 2012
- Chhattisgarh carves out nine more districts - Jan 01, 2012
- Campaigning ends for Chhattisgarh by-poll - May 06, 2011