Pollard, Simmons take West Indies to 249/8 (Lead)June 14th, 2011 - 12:49 am ICT by IANS
St. John’s (Antigua), June 13 (IANS) Keiron Pollard and Lendl Simmons struck crucial half-centuries to take the West Indies to a competitive 249 for eight in 50 overs against India in the fourth One-day International of the series here Monday.
Pollard remained unbeaten on 70, his highest score against a Test playing nation, while opener Simmons made a crucial 67 to pull out the West Indies from another middle-order collapse at the Vivian Richards Stadium.
Put in, West Indies were teetering at 89 for four, but Simmons and Pollard played intelligently and a late charge by wicketkeeper Carlton Baugh (39) and Andre Russell (25) gave the hosts their best total of the season.
The West Indies batsmen were made to word hard by medium pacer Praveen Kumar (3/37) and leg-spinner Amit Mishra (2/56), who between them bowled six maidens. Comeback man Ishant Sharma started impressively by dismissing Danza Hyatt (1) in the second over but went on to concede 60 runs from his 10 overs.
Hyatt’s wicket triggered a collapse and West Indies were 103 for five in the 27th over. Pollard and Baugh then did the repair work with their 96-run stand for the sixth wicket.
Pollard was impressive with his shot selection and all his big hits were down the ground. Pollard hit six fours and two sixes and departed in the 45th over after he charged spinner Ravichandran Ashwin and holed out to Ishant at long-off.
Baugh and Russell then added quick 41 runs for the seventh wicket. Russell hit three fours and a six in his 14-ball 25 as West Indies got 57 in the Powerplay.
- Martin, Russell give West Indies consolation win over India (Second lead) - Jun 14, 2011
- Rohit stars in India thrilling one-wicket win over West Indies (Roundup) - Nov 30, 2011
- India to field against West Indies in fourth ODI - Jun 13, 2011
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, fourth ODI - Jun 14, 2011
- West Indies suffer batting collapse, reach 211/9 (Lead) - Nov 29, 2011
- Temperamental Benn among 30 probables for World T20 - Jul 19, 2012
- Barath, Rampaul recalled for 5th ODI as Gayle ignored again - Jun 15, 2011
- Scoreboard: West Indies vs India, fourth ODI - Jun 14, 2011
- Praveen Kumar ruled out of first three ODIs against Windies - Nov 28, 2011
- West Indies name 30-man provisional squad for World T20 - Jul 19, 2012
- Sharma's unbeaten 86 gives India a series win in West Indies - Jun 12, 2011
- Russell powers West Indies to 225/8 (Lead) - Jun 12, 2011
- Out-of-form Bravo released, Hyatt called up - Mar 29, 2012
- West Indies overpower Ireland to stay in the hunt (Roundup) - Mar 11, 2011
- Scoreboard: India vs. West Indies, Second ODI - Dec 03, 2011
Tags: amit, ashwin, baugh, highest score, hyatt, keiron, lendl, maidens, medium pacer, pollard, powerplay, ravichandran, shot selection, simmons, six fours, two sixes, vivian richards, west indies, wicket, wicketkeeper