Poll panel shunts UP officials for being Mayawati ‘agents’February 13th, 2012 - 8:00 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Feb 13 (IANS) The Election Commission Monday ordered immediate removal of nearly a dozen officials, including some IAS and IPS officers, from certain key positions after they were accused of working as “agents” of the ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP).
The Election Commission has not only shifted them from the existing appointments, but made it a point to ensure that they did not remain associated with any election duty.
Significantly, most of the officials were posted in or around Rae Bareli and Amethi parliamentary constituencies, represented by UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi and Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi.
The orders for their transfer followed complaints made by some Congress leaders.
Prominent among those to be given marching orders were Rae Bareli district magistrate Amrita Soni, Meerut deputy inspector general (DIG) of police Prem Prakash, Bhadohi sub divisional officer Anjani Kumar Singh, Amethi (Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Nagar) additional district magistrate M.L. Pandey and Dalmau sub-divisional magistrate B.L. Saroj.
Junior police officials to be shunted out included Gautam Budh Nagar SP (Rural) Rakesh Jolly, Jaunpur DySP Hari Nath Sharma, Amethi Kotwali incharge Anand Bajpai, Mohanganj SHO Anil Kumar Shahi, Rae Bareli DySP Sudhakar Singh and Unjh (Bhadohi) SHO Ramesh Ram.
“The officials were removed from their present places of posting in view of complaints that they were not working independently and were even accused of behaving as agents of the party in power,” said a commission official.
- Congress wants Rae Bareli, CSM Nagar officials moved out - Feb 11, 2012
- 2 killed in poll violence in Uttar Pradesh - Oct 14, 2010
- 57 percent turnout estimated in UP poll's fourth phase (Evening Lead) - Feb 19, 2012
- High Court bars Amethi's name change - Sep 21, 2012
- All eyes on Lucknow in fourth phase of UP polls - Feb 18, 2012
- Brisk polling on in Uttar Pradesh (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Gandhi charisma fading? Congress humbled in Rae Bareli, Amethi - Mar 06, 2012
- UP polls: Round 3 ends peacefully, 57-58 percent turnout (Fourth Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- UP polls: 20 percent turnout in four hours (Second Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Polling steady, peaceful in round three of UP polls (Third Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Peaceful polling in UP, young Lucknow voters queue up (Third Lead) - Feb 19, 2012
- Voting picks up in UP after slow start (Second Lead) - Feb 19, 2012
- Elections 2012: UP poll battle begins Wednesday - Feb 06, 2012
- UP set for hung house, SP leads, BSP routed (Second Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Power woes: Sonia's whisper stronger than SC order - Sep 02, 2012
Tags: anil kumar, congress leaders, deputy inspector general, district magistrate, divisional officer, dozen officials, election commission, ips officers, jaunpur, junior police, meerut, parliamentary constituencies, police officials, prem prakash, rae bareli district, rahul gandhi, shunts, soni, sonia gandhi, sudhakar