Poll panel gives clean chit to DeoraDecember 2nd, 2008 - 9:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 2 (IANS) The Election Commission Tuesday gave a clean chit to Petroleum Minister Murli Deora over his remarks on slashing petrol and diesel prices even while assembly polls are on.”The commission considered the explanation given by Murli Deora and examined the video footage and came to the conclusion that there was no violation of the model code of conduct,” said Deputy Elections Commissioner R. Balakrishnan.
As the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) objected to the minister’s remarks to the media and alleged violation of the model code of conduct, the poll panel had issued notice to Deora and Petroleum Secretary R.S. Pandey Nov 26 and sought their explanation.
In an interaction with media, Deora said the government would reduce the prices of petrol and diesel after Dec 24 when the elections in the states would be over.
Commission sources said prima facie there seemed no legitimate basis for the BJP’s complaint since the party itself had been demanding a cut in the petrol an diesel prices after the international oil prices slumped to $50 a barrel from nearly $148 five months back.
- Poll panel asks Verma to explain 'wilfull' sub-quota remark (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- Poll panel sends notice to Deora on fuel price cut - Nov 26, 2008
- Not guilty of violating model code, Verma tells poll panel (Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- Quota remarks: Poll panel notice to Verma, minister unfazed (Second Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- Court reserves order in case against Dikshit (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- Poll panel rejects Punjab's octroi abolition, more cash seized - Dec 27, 2011
- Khurshid did not violate model code: Congress tells poll panel - Jan 20, 2012
- Announcement of petrol price cut violates poll code: BJP - Nov 25, 2008
- Poll panel blocks 400 government jobs in Goa - Jan 05, 2012
- Cabinet to decide fuel price cut, as Deora gets notice for remarks (Intro Roundup) - Nov 26, 2008
- Goa cops, excise staff step in to stop petrol smuggling - Jun 01, 2012
- BJP complains to poll panel against Verma's quota remarks (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- BJP complains to Election Commission over petrol price cut - Nov 26, 2008
- Poll panel gives clean chit to Jaiswal (Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- Deoras announcement to cut fuel prices creates poll row - Nov 26, 2008