Politics, unionism in education cannot be separated: Amartya SenJuly 18th, 2012 - 12:55 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 17 (IANS) Observing that politics cannot be separated from unions formed by teachers or students, Nobel laureate Amartya Sen Tuesday emphasised on the need for using the synergy of the two entities to universalise and improve the quality of education in India.
“Traditionally and globally unions of teachers and students have had political affiliations. The synergy of the two entities has historical importance and the two cannot be separated,” he said.
Speaking at an interactive session on “Problems of school education and the role of teachers” associations” at the Calcutta University, Sen said there was a need to use the synergy of politics and unionism optimally for development of education.
“Politics is defined as the art of the possible. We must therefore look at ways to synergise politics and union movement to universalise and improve the quality of education in the country,” he said.
Though, he refused to comment on the Vishva Bharati row where a student was forced to lick her urine for bedwetting, Sen - an alumnus of the university founded by another Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore - said punishment to students has never yielded any positive results.
He said the quality of school education in India was inferior in comparision to other countries and urged on the need to explore ways to develop the standard of education.
“The reason for many prevalent social vices in our country is the lack of education. Education alone can remove caste or gender based or other inequalities. There is need to explore ways to spread education to remove the inequalities in the society,” added Sen.
- Sibal praises Bihar for spreading education - Jul 04, 2011
- Health is a political subject: Amartya Sen - Jul 10, 2011
- Vishva-Bharati row: Court issues contempt notice against PM, others - Jul 13, 2012
- New thinking needed to save Presidency, say experts - Jul 23, 2011
- Political violence in Bengal is dreadful: Amartya Sen - Dec 20, 2010
- Amartya Sen-headed Nalanda varsity group to meet in Patna - Jul 05, 2011
- Nalanda Mentor Group holds meet in Patna - Jul 06, 2011
- Amartya Sen to be chief mentor of Presidency University - Jun 04, 2011
- Primary education in India: Learn from ASEAN, says Amartya - Jul 21, 2012
- Amartya Sen in Bihar for Nalanda meeting - Jul 18, 2012
- Vacancies to be filled at Kolkata's Presidency University - May 26, 2011
- Pranab a great political scholar: Amartya Sen - Jul 23, 2012
- Amartya Sen lauds Bihar's progress in elementary education - Jul 05, 2011
- Don Bosco warden arrested in Bengal on charges of sodomy - Jul 16, 2012
- Jamia honours Amartya Sen (With Image) - Dec 16, 2011
Tags: alumnus, bedwetting, calcutta university, caste, education education, education in india, education politics, emphasised, inequalities, interactive session, july 17, kolkata, lack of education, nobel laureate, political affiliations, quality of education, rabindranath tagore, school education, social vices, synergy