Politician’s son mows youth, mob goes on rampageJuly 13th, 2008 - 5:14 pm ICT by IANS
Allahabad, July 13 (IANS) An irate mob vandalised and set on fire the house of a Samajwadi Party leader after his son allegedly mowed down a youth with a speeding car here, police said Sunday. Irate residents of the Naini Allahabad Development Authority colony indulged in arson and thrashed Rajeev Agrawal, the father of the accused, late Saturday night, police added.
The victim Shivanshu Shukla, 15, was going home when a speeding car, reportedly driven by Sonu Agrawal, hit him. The accident took place late Saturday night and the youth died on the spot.
However, residents saw Sonu entering his house and, agitated over the youth’s death, an angry mob headed to the leader’s residence to vent their anger.
“Belongings inside the house, along with four cars and two motorcycles parked outside, were torched. The mob also attacked Rajiv’s younger brother Sanjeev’s house nearby and manhandled him,” a police official informed.
On its way back, the mob also set a car and a private bus on fire, officials said.
The victim’s father, Ramji Shukla, a intermediate college teacher, lodged a police complaint against Sonu.
“We have arrested Sonu today (Sunday) morning and action will also be initiated against those involved in arson,” Allahabad Senior Superintendent of Police V.K. Singh told IANS.
The situation in the area was tense Sunday morning and a heavy contingent of police, along with para military force, has been deployed in order to check recurrence of violence.
The police has lodged a first information report against 50 unknown people involved in arson, Singh added.
- Truck mows four kids, one killed in police firing - Sep 14, 2011
- Locals clash with police over youth's death - Nov 15, 2011
- Clash in Uttar Pradesh city after woman's death - Mar 26, 2011
- Man held for killing minor in Delhi - Jun 24, 2012
- UP sees violence over Myanmar-Assam events, curfew in Allahabad (Lead) - Aug 18, 2012
- Speeding truck mows down 15 in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 22, 2012
- Man killed in east Delhi firing was family's sole provider - Sep 03, 2012
- Two killed during car racing episode - Nov 27, 2011
- Protesters in UP torch vehicles, attack police - Jul 16, 2012
- Azamgarh tense after student's death in accident - Nov 04, 2011
- Violence in Uttar Pradesh town after schoolboy's death - Aug 10, 2010
- Angry mob vandalises police post in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 28, 2010
- Boy's death sparks violence - Jun 09, 2011
- Sarpanch, driver held for killing RTI activist's kin - Feb 13, 2011
- Violent protests in UP against Assam-Myanmar violence - Aug 17, 2012