Politicians, scribes play cricket for a causeNovember 4th, 2008 - 6:21 pm ICT by IANS
Mehsana (Gujarat), Nov 4 (IANS) Politicians and journalists in a north Gujarat district played a 19-overs-a-side match Tuesday, inaugurating a 27-day cricket tournament to nurture talented youth in the region.The opening match drew a good number of spectators at the historic M.N. College grounds at Visnagar of Mehsana district, about 150 km from Ahmedabad.
While one team had local leaders from the state’s ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) including legislator Rushikesh Patel and district BJP unit vice president Roopal Patel, the other side had journalists from the region.
The BJP men were all out for 120 while the scribes made 121 for 3.
Roopal Patel said: “The main objective of the tournament is to groom cricketers out of villagers. It was the first tournament of its kind in the state where only taluka (sub-district) teams are participating.”
Added Rushikesh Patel: “Youth from villages have been invited to take part in the tournament.”
As many as 80 teams from Visnagar town and nearby villages are participating in the tournament. The winning team will lift the Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay trophy.
- Mehsana riot accused absconding, court issues arrest warrant - Jun 05, 2012
- Court rejects ex-BJP legislator's plea in Gujarat riot case - Jun 18, 2010
- Ex-BJP legislator gets bail in 2002 Gujarat riots case - Oct 18, 2010
- New public prosecutors appointed in 2002 communal riots case - Jun 17, 2011
- BJP sweeps local bodies polls in Gujarat - Oct 23, 2010
- Gujarat riots: Prosecutor withdraws resignation - Jun 02, 2011
- BJP's pro-farmer ad features dead man - Dec 21, 2010
- Maharashtra opposition to demand government's dismissal - Aug 12, 2011
- Himachal Pradesh to host Twenty20 Mahasangram - Nov 22, 2010
- Karnataka in dire strait in Buchi Babu - Aug 21, 2012
- Caste doesn't work in court, petitioner told - Apr 18, 2011
- BJP sweeps Gujarat local bodies elections (Lead) - Oct 23, 2010
- District polls results Tuesday may impact Karnataka politics - Jan 03, 2011
- Record 1300 teams to take part Himachal Pradesh 20-20 cricket tourney - Oct 27, 2010
- Vote counting for Karnataka district polls begins - Jan 04, 2011