Politicians, people call on bereaved MamataDecember 18th, 2011 - 10:36 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Dec 18 (IANS) A stream of people including politicians, cultural personalities and sportspersons Sunday visited West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee’s spartan residence in south Kolkata’s Kalighat to console her on the death of her mother.
While a large number of Trinamool Congress leaders and workers went to Banerjee’s home since early morning to stand by their supremo in her hour of grief, common people also gathered in large numbers through the day.
Banerjee’s mother Gayatri, who was a pillar of strength for West Bengal’s first woman chief minister, passed away at a state-run hospital here Saturday morning. She was 81.
A number of thinkers close to Banerjee, veteran singer Sandhya Mukherjee, former Indian cricket captain Sourav Ganguly, and senior Bharatiya Janata Party leaders Rajnath Singh and Kirti Azad were among those who called on Banerjee.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, President Pratibha Patil, and Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee have condoled Gayatri Devi’s death.
Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar, and a delegation of the state’s opposition Left Front, led by its chairman Biman Bose and Forward Bloc state secretary Ashok Ghosh, visited the chief minister’s residence Saturday afternoon to pay their last respects to Gayatri Devi.
All official functions of the chief minister has been cancelled for the next couple of days as she is in mourning.
- Mamata's mother passes away, condolences pour in (Roundup) - Dec 17, 2011
- Mamata Banerjee's mother dies (Second Lead) - Dec 17, 2011
- Mamata Banerjee's mother dies (Lead) - Dec 17, 2011
- Mamata worships goddess Kali, gives 'prasad' - Oct 27, 2011
- Mamata Banerjee's mother passes away - Dec 17, 2011
- President, prime minister condole death of Mamata's mother (Lead) - Dec 17, 2011
- Pranab visits Mamata's mother in hospital - Dec 03, 2011
- Low key birthday as Mamata turns 57 - Jan 05, 2012
- PM condoles death of Mamata Banerjee's mother - Dec 17, 2011
- West Bengal gets its first woman chief minister (Lead) - May 20, 2011
- President Mukherjee given civic reception by Bengal government (Lead) - Sep 14, 2012
- Bypoll to South Kolkata Lok Sabha seat Nov 30 - Nov 01, 2011
- Mamata takes over Bengal reins, walks history road (Roundup) - May 20, 2011
- PM, Sonia congratulate Mamata - May 13, 2011
- Mamata takes over Bengal reins, walks history road (Intro Roundup) - May 21, 2011
Tags: bharatiya janata party, chief minister, congress leaders, cricket captain, gayatri, indian cricket, kirti azad, last respects, Lok Sabha, mamata banerjee, manmohan singh, meira kumar, pranab mukherjee, president pratibha patil, prime minister manmohan singh, trinamool congress, union finance minister, veteran singer, west bengal, woman chief