Politicians join the chorus, praise Pookutty’s OscarFebruary 23rd, 2009 - 4:10 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Feb 23 (IANS) From the village council head to ministers, politicians of all hues are making a beeline to laud Resul Pookuty’s Oscar win.
Saraswati Amma, president of the Eroor panchayat, said: “I don’t have words to express my happiness. Resul lifted our village to the heights of glory. We are proud of him. VVIPs including ministers, film stars and common men are flocking to my remote village because of his achievement.”
Pookutty Monday became the first Indian to bag an Oscar for best sound mixing for the film “Slumdog Millionaire”.
“We all are at his residence in Vilakkupara (Resul’s home town in Kollam district),” said Saraswati Amma.
She said the village would accord a grand “people’s welcome” for Pookutty.
“He spoke to all of us. He is very happy. We will organise ‘people’s welcome’ to receive Resul,” Saraswati Amma told IANS over phone.
K. Raju, legislator from Punaloor, said: “It is a rare moment in history. We all are in the mood of celebration. We don’t know how to celebrate it. Nothing is enough to celebrate this unforgettable moment in life.”
Vilakkupara is in Punaloor assembly constituency.
Kerala Agriculture Minister Mullakkara Ratnakaran, who was at Pookutty’s home, said: “Resul’s victory is the village man’s victory and it shows the Malyali capability to win the things that are considered impossible.”
Water Resource Minister N.K. Premachandran said: “I salute the great artiste for his achievement.”
The two ministers are from Kollam district.
Minister of state for External Affairs E. Ahamed said: “It is an unforgettable moment for every Indian, especially every Keralite. Resul’s valuable contribution has been recognised internationally.”
Kerala Pradesh Congress Committee president Ramesh Chennithala said: “No doubt, it is a proud moment. We must celebrate it.”
- Pookutty announces three scholarships for film students - Jun 17, 2011
- Doctorate from Sanskrit university big honour: Pookutty - Feb 27, 2010
- Letters inspired me to start NGO: Pookutty - Mar 01, 2010
- Kerala village basks in Pookutty's Oscar glory (Lead) - Feb 23, 2009
- Antony's wife, Resul Pookutty enrol as advocates - Mar 04, 2012
- Kerala orders CBI probe into attack on teacher - Nov 02, 2011
- Grand welcome for Resul Pookutty in Kerala - Mar 06, 2009
- I'm happy my films won eight national awards: Mammootty - Sep 15, 2010
- You need an opportunity to succeed, says Oscar winner Pookutty - Apr 29, 2009
- Kerala assembly congratulates Rahman, Pookutty - Feb 24, 2009
- Big B introduces 'RA.One' game in movie - Oct 08, 2011
- Amitabh, Shahrukh Extend Helping Hands To Eradicate Illiteracy - Jan 25, 2011
- Kerala girls to make documentary on gender issues - Dec 16, 2010
- Two Indians and Liv Ullmann - in one film - Dec 14, 2011
- Frenzy in Kerala village over Oscar winner Pookutty's arrival - Mar 05, 2009