Political scene not right for PM’s inclusion under Lokpal: SibalJune 21st, 2011 - 10:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 21 (IANS) The political situation in the country does not allow the inclusion of the prime minister under the Lokpal’s purview, Human Resources Development Minister Kapil Sibal said Tuesday.
The government was only trying to protect the institution of the prime minister, Sibal said at a press conference here after the last meeting of the joint committee to draft the Lokpal bill.
“The prime minister is the lynchpin of parliamentary democracy,” Sibal said, adding: “We want to protect prospective prime ministers and the institution of the prime minister.”
He said that in present political situation, anyone may raise allegations against the prime minister, and if the Lokpal starts issuing notice to the prime minister, the government will be affected.
“In a coalition government especially, political parties without hesitation make allegations on a daily basis at the drop of a hat against the prime minister. They may even provide documents which perhaps will have no basis.
“If the Lokpal starts issuing notice to the prime minister, given the situation when we are in a neighbourhood which is extremely sensitive, anything can happen anytime,” he said.
The minister said that the inclusion of the prime minister’s post has also been opposed by many “distinguished” civil society members.
“This is not coming from the government alone. This is coming from very distinguished members of civil society. Surely those who are conversant with the constitution and have actually dealt with the constitution for 40 years, know the importance of the office of the prime minister,” Sibal said.
- Lokpal draft to be ready by June 30, says government (Second Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- Confrontation looms as Lokpal report is tabled (Roundup) - Dec 09, 2011
- Lokpal bill: Who stands where - Dec 22, 2011
- Mukherjee seeks views on Lokpal bill; government says talks on right path (Lead) - May 31, 2011
- Ironical UPA wants PM out of Lokpal's ambit: Team Hazare - Jun 13, 2011
- Lokpal meetings: A turbulent journey - Jun 21, 2011
- Congress attacks Karat on Lokpal bill remark - Jul 03, 2011
- Aamir is backing Jan Lokpal bill: Team Anna - Jul 20, 2011
- CPM for inclusion of prime minister in Lokpal purview (Lead) - Dec 15, 2011
- Government vs Team Anna - demands on Lokpal - Dec 27, 2011
- Meeting on Lokpal ends amid major differences (Second Lead) - May 31, 2011
- Favour excluding PM from Lokpal: Congress - Jul 01, 2011
- Young Congress MPs nuance Congress stance on Hazare fast - Aug 26, 2011
- Congress avoids comment on bringing PM under Lokpal - Jun 13, 2011
- Government to bring Lokpal bill in line with constitution (Roundup) - Jul 04, 2011
Tags: allegations, coalition government, conversant, daily basis, development minister, drop of a hat, hesitation, human resources development, joint committee, kapil sibal, lynchpin, neighbourhood, New Delhi, office of the prime minister, parliamentary democracy, political parties, political situation, prime ministers, purview, society members