Political parties should unite to fight terror: MayawatiNovember 27th, 2008 - 8:13 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Nov 27 (IANS) Condemning the Mumbai terror attacks, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati Thursday said all political parties should unite to fight terror and remarked that this was “not the time to run down anyone”. The Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) chief, far from flaying the central government or the Maharastra government for Wednesday night’s terrorist attack on Mumbai, expressed full solidarity against terror.
“This is not the time to run down any one. After all this is a serious crisis when the focus is only on saving the lives of those who are still trapped or to get hold of the terrorists,” Mayawati said at a press conference.
“It is time that all political parties rise to the occasion to sink their political differences and unite against terror,” she asserted.
“The Mumbai attack is a matter of serious concern because the modus operandi used by the terrorists is unprecedented,” she said.
Asked if she did not consider it a failure of the central intelligence agencies, Mayawati shot back, “We will look into those details only after the current crisis is settled.”
She said, “All that I wish to urge the centre is to take stern measures to prevent recurrence of such acts of terror in future.”
In an unusual vein she went on to add, “Let me also point out that my party firmly believes that terrorists have neither any caste nor religion; I would also wish that the centre too rises above the politics of caste and religion to treat terrorists as just terrorists - nothing else.”
- Mayawati's attacks out of desperation: Congress - Dec 18, 2011
- Mayawati wants Dalit on Lokpal Bill committee (Lead) - Apr 22, 2011
- Jama Masjid attack: Mumbai Police hunting SIM card user - Sep 21, 2010
- Minor girl in Uttar Pradesh attacked for resisting rape - Feb 06, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh more alert to terror than centre: Mayawati - Feb 15, 2010
- Message from UP: give us governance, not sops (Comment) - Mar 06, 2012
- Mayawati wants stringent laws against rape - Jun 21, 2011
- Iran terms Mumbai blasts mindless, cowardly - Jul 15, 2011
- It is Mayawati vs all others in Uttar Pradesh - Dec 25, 2011
- Indian Mujahideen suspected behind Mumbai blasts - Jul 14, 2011
- Mulayam Singh will be UP chief minister: Akhilesh (Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- No special laws to tackle terrorism: BJP - Jul 15, 2011
- India, US ask Pakistan to act against terror (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Is Pakistan serious about Mumbai terror attack, asks BJP - Jul 17, 2012
- Mayawati slams centre's compensation to injured farmers - May 23, 2011