Polish leftists seek referendum on US missile baseSeptember 8th, 2008 - 12:19 pm ICT by IANS
Warsaw, Sep 8 (RIA Novosti) Poland’s Alliance of the Democratic Left (SLD) has called for a national referendum on the deployment of a US missile defence base in the country, according to a party spokesman. “The SLD will insist on parliamentary debates and demand that the government and the president inform us about their talks with the US and how the US missile would help Poland and the Poles,” said Tomasz Kalita Sunday.
The deal to place 10 interceptor missiles as part of a US missile shield in Poland by 2013 was reached in mid-August a month after the Czech Republic and the US signed an agreement for setting up a radar in the East European country.
SLD is the largest leftist party in Poland and has 55 seats in the 460-member lower house of Polish parliament.
“If our proposal does not gain enough support in parliament, we are ready to start gathering citizens’ signatures all over the country to conduct a national referendum (on US base issue),” Kalita said.
According to recent public opinion polls, over 66 percent of residents near the Redzikovo military base in northern Poland, where the interceptor missiles are to be placed, are against the deployment of the US base in the region.
Russian officials earlier said Moscow could deploy its Iskander tactical missiles and strategic bombers in Belarus and Russia’s westernmost exclave of Kaliningrad if Washington succeeded in its missile shield plans in Europe. Moscow also warned it could target its missiles on Poland.
- Poland wants to build own missile defence - Aug 12, 2012
- Russia unveils anti-missile radar in Kaliningrad - Nov 29, 2011
- No strategic significance for Patriot missiles near Russia: Poland - Jan 21, 2010
- Moscow reiterates its missile defence posture - Aug 21, 2012
- Russia scraps Kaliningrad missile plan - Sep 19, 2009
- US, Russia admit differences over missile shield - Apr 01, 2009
- US vows to go ahead with missile shield - May 11, 2012
- Russia wants missile defence guarantees - Jun 02, 2012
- Russia tests interceptor missile - Dec 21, 2011
- Russia says to drop Iskander plans if US scraps missile shield - Mar 03, 2009
- Medvedev hopes to discuss missile shield with Obama - Mar 02, 2009
- Russia to deploy missiles near Polish border - Nov 05, 2008
- Russia calls US missile shield 'dead cat' - Aug 16, 2008
- Russia will counter US missile defence: Medvedev - Feb 22, 2012
- 'Russia has no business in NATO missile defence' - May 23, 2012