Policemen broke my hand for seeking good food: KodaOctober 31st, 2011 - 7:57 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Oct 31 (IANS) Jailed former Jharkhand chief minister Madhu Koda Monday alleged his hand was broken by policemen when he sought good food for the prisoners.
“Poor food is supplied in the jail. I went to general ward to inspect the food and sat on demonstration to protest. I sought good food and my hand was broken by policemen,” Koda told reporters as he was being shifted to the Rajendra Institute of Medical Science (RIMS) for treatment.
Koda’s supporters alleged that he was denied good food for last several days. They also alleged he was not served food on time, despite complaints to the jail administration.
According to sources in jail, Koda Monday went to the general ward to get food. When he went there, chaos prevailed at the meal time and police made a baton-charge at the prisoners to disperse them.
In his reaction to the incident, Ranchi Deputy Commissioner, K.K. Soan said: “The upper division prisoner (Koda) went to general ward to protest poor food. Koda sustained injuries in the clashes of the prisoners”.
He asked why had Koda gone to the general ward of the prison, and how had the security men allowed him to go there.
Jharkhand Chief Secretary S.K. Chaudhary said the incident, which has raised many questions over security of VVIP prisoners, would be probed. Meanwhile, political parties have condemned the incident.
Koda has been in jail since November 2009 in a Rs.4,000 crore money laundering scam. He and four former ministers are kept in a VIP cell of the jail.
- With hand fractured, Madhu Koda continues protests - Nov 01, 2011
- Koda booked for instigating prisoners - Nov 02, 2011
- Madhu Koda, ex-Minister shifted from hospital to jail - Dec 30, 2011
- Assembly recount after two years! - Dec 18, 2011
- Jailed JMM MP occupies hospital VVIP room by force - Jan 18, 2010
- 10 Ranchi jail staffers suspended for prisoners' death - Jun 06, 2011
- Amar Singh keeping to himself in Tihar Jail - Sep 07, 2011
- Koda gets bail in illegal mining case, to stay in jail - Apr 05, 2012
- Punjab jail riot leaves one dead - Nov 21, 2011
- No helmet, no petrol in Ranchi - Jan 31, 2012
- Campaign against harassment of women in Ranchi - Sep 16, 2011
- Rights panel seeks report on doctor's murder in Bihar jail - Jun 04, 2011
- Six prisoners attempt suicide in Bihar jail - May 14, 2012
- Rs.200 crore invested by Koda in Sweden traced, court told (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- I don't know Niira Radia: Koda - Dec 16, 2010
Tags: baton charge, chaos, chief minister, chief secretary, clashes, demonstration, deputy commissioner, good food, jail administration, meal time, medical science, money laundering, oct 31, policemen, political parties, poor food, prisoners, rims, security men, soan