Policemen arrested for extortionNovember 2nd, 2011 - 1:17 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Nov 2 (IANS) Three of four policemen of the Special Operations Group (SOG) accused of extorting money from a businessman in Uttar Pradesh have been arrested, police said Wednesday.
Constables Vinod Kumar Yadav, Waqar Ahmad, Anil Tiwari and Manoj Singh were suspended and booked Tuesday in Gonda district following a complaint from businessman Pratap Singh.
Pratap Singh told senior officials that the constables extorted around Rs.1 lakh from him in Mishrelia town, and even threatened to implicate him in a false case if he complained against them.
“While Manoj Singh is absconding, the other three policemen have been arrested after charges against them were found true,” Superintendent of Police J. Ravindra Gaur told reporters in Gonda, 200 km from Lucknow.
- Book four cops for filing false case: Court - Sep 13, 2011
- 2 cops accused of assaulting lady officer surrender - Sep 24, 2010
- Shooter claims innocence in CMO's murder - Jun 24, 2011
- Four Punjab cops booked for extortion - Mar 07, 2011
- Four more rape cases, attack on women reported in UP - Jun 20, 2011
- Three traffic constables suspended for assaulting woman officer (Lead) - Sep 03, 2010
- Maharashtra corporator's killer nabbed in Lucknow - Jun 02, 2012
- Four Rajasthan cops accused of staged gunfight surrender - Jul 26, 2011
- Court nod for seizing Rajasthan cop's properties - Aug 20, 2011
- Subordinates assault policewoman in Uttar Pradesh - Sep 03, 2010
- Transporter run over by police van for not paying bribe - Sep 08, 2010
- Man held with fake currency - Oct 24, 2011
- UP cops accidentally kill youth - Sep 01, 2012
- Jharkhand conman arrested in Lucknow - May 05, 2012
- SBI employee arrested for killing wife, children - Aug 25, 2011
Tags: ahmad, anil, businessman, constables, extortion, false case, gaur, lakh, manoj, nov 2, policemen, pratap singh, ravindra, rs 1, senior officials, special operations group, superintendent, uttar pradesh, vinod kumar, yadav