Policeman jailed over affair with a rape ‘victim’August 6th, 2011 - 6:51 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 6 (IANS) A policeman in Britain has been sentenced to prison for three years for having an affair with an alleged rape victim while investigating her case and also having sex with the mother of an eight-year-old rape victim.
Former detective sergeant John Cragg, 42, worked as a rape victim support officer, Daily Mail reported.
His behaviour caused two court cases to collapse.
The officer, who resigned last year, pleaded guilty at Liverpool Crown Court to two charges of misconduct in a public office.
Judge John Roberts told him: “I bear in mind that you have lost everything including your job and your wife. But I see no reason whatsoever to hand down anything other than a custodial sentence.”
Cragg ‘abused the trust of the public’ by embarking on affairs with the two women whom he had met on duty as an officer with Lancashire Police’s specialist sex crimes squad based in Blackpool.
Revelations about him caused the Crown Prosecution Service to halt criminal proceedings against a 35-year-old man.
Cragg also admitted having an affair with the mother of an eight-year-old girl in a separate case.
A 32-year-old man was due to go on trial at Preston Crown Court earlier this year, as he was accused of raping the eight-year-old and various other child sex offences. But the Crown Prosecution Service was forced to abandon the case after Cragg was investigated by Lancashire Police’s professional standards unit.
- Briton clicks himself raping child, jailed - Aug 12, 2012
- Brit cop howls like baby as he's jailed for having sex while on duty - Mar 16, 2011
- Indian-origin court clerk caught watching porn during trial - May 01, 2012
- 'Lazy' policeman faces jail for sabotaging probes - Sep 13, 2012
- Three British policemen sacked every week - Jan 30, 2012
- Boys convicted of attempted rape after 'playing doctors and nurses' - May 25, 2010
- Teenager jailed for not giving computer password - Oct 07, 2010
- Sexual grooming of white girls an Asian problem: Official - Jun 08, 2012
- Man jailed in Britain for raping drunk women - Sep 24, 2011
- Rapist cop in UK finally jailed after attacking 30 women during 5-year reign - Nov 25, 2010
- Eight-year-old girl raped in Delhi - Mar 18, 2011
- British police ex-staff faces jail for child porn - Jan 28, 2012
- British woman jailed for prostituting teenaged girl - Aug 02, 2012
- Rapist who left minor victim on rail track held - Feb 11, 2012
- Rape-murder accused's acquittal reversed; gets life term - Feb 13, 2012
Tags: child sex, court cases, criminal proceedings, crown court, crown prosecution service, custodial sentence, daily mail, detective sergeant, having an affair, john cragg, john roberts, judge john, lancashire police, old girl, policeman, professional standards, rape victim, sex crimes, sex offences, victim support