Police to seal Olympic torch relay routeApril 16th, 2008 - 10:01 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 16 (IANS) Delhi Police are going to seal the route of the Olympic torch relay in an attempt to thwart attempts by Tibetans to disrupt the relay Thursday afternoon. The police have also not given permission to the Tibetans for a parallel torch relay.
“All roads leading to Rajpath and Rashtrapati Bhawan (the route of the relay) will remain closed from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. tomorrow (Thursday),” Joint Commissioner of Police (Traffic) S.N. Srivastava told reporters here.
Traffic on these roads will be diverted via Aurbindo Chowk, Mother Teresa Crescent Road, Ring Road and Mathura Road, he said.
“The divergence of traffic on the arterial roads will have a cascading effect and lead to traffic congestion,” Srivastava warned.
“The Tibetans have not been given permission to conduct a parallel torch relay,” he added.
- Traffic jams expected across Delhi Thursday - Oct 07, 2009
- Delhi Police gear up for New Year eve traffic - Dec 30, 2010
- R-Day Parade rehearsal hits traffic - Jan 23, 2012
- Traffic restrictions for R-day parade rehearsal - Jan 22, 2012
- Commonwealth Games lanes restrictions from today - Sep 24, 2010
- Games road lane trial planned during rush hour - Sep 12, 2010
- Trial on Games lane cancelled due to heavy rains (Lead) - Sep 13, 2010
- Traffic woes in Delhi continue - Sep 29, 2010
- Traffic advisory for Wen's visit - Dec 14, 2010
- CWG lane trials create traffic chaos in Delhi - Sep 14, 2010
- Traffic advisory issued for CWG road events - Oct 08, 2010
- Pakistani youth wanted to meet president, arrested - Feb 03, 2012
- Heavy rains in Delhi, more showers likely (Lead) - Sep 19, 2010
- Speeding bikers hit Delhi cop, four held - Jul 23, 2012
- Traffic advisory announced for Friday Tazia processions - Dec 16, 2010