Police to quiz ex-minister held in housing scamMarch 11th, 2012 - 8:55 pm ICT by IANS
Jalgaon (Maharashtra), March 11 (IANS) Former Maharashtra housing minister Suresh Jain was Sunday remanded to police custody by a sessions court here after his arrest in connection with a housing society scam, police said.
“Jain was arrested early Sunday in connection with the (2006) Gharkul housing scheme scam. He has been remanded to police custody till March 19,” an officer from Jalgaon City Police Station told IANS.
Jain, who was a minister during the Shiv Sena-Bharatiya Janata Party rule in the 1990s, was arrested for allegedly favouring a builder and indulging in irregularities to the tune of Rs.29 crore, police said.
Jain joined the Nationalist Congress Party in 2003 but is now back with the Shiv Sena.
As per initial police reports, Jain had given the contract of building tenements to Khandesh Builders by way of floating tenders even before the land was acquired for the housing scheme.
An official complaint against Jain was registered by the then municipal commissioner of Jalgaon Pravin Gedam.
Jain, along with district guardian minister Gulabrao Deokar, suspected to be a part of the scam, were questioned by police.
Police sources said that they arrested Jain after they seized some case-related documents from the Housing and Urban Development Corporation (HUDCO) office in Mumbai.
Activist Anna Hazare welcomed the development, saying that Jain was the real culprit and that arresting him was vital for the case. He said that Deokar should also been arrested.
Jain in 2003 addressed a press conference in which he alleged that Hazare had misappropriated funds of the Sant Yadavbaba Shikshan Prasarak Mandal, with which the activist was associated.
Hazare filed a defamation case against Jain. The case is being heard by a Pune judicial magistrate.
- NCP minister arrested for housing scam, resigns - May 21, 2012
- Maharashtra minister on the run as court cancels bail - Aug 07, 2012
- SC breather for Maharashtra transport minister - Aug 07, 2012
- Shiv Sena leader calls Hazare 'Taliban Gandhi' - Aug 06, 2011
- Dial-an-auto soon in Maharashtra - Apr 03, 2012
- Hazare shifts to old residence - Oct 21, 2011
- Maharashtra government will be under pressure in budget session - Mar 14, 2012
- Noida builder held for fraud - Sep 14, 2010
- Kanda to face police questions for 7 days (Second Lead) - Aug 18, 2012
- Anna in Tihar, shares jail with Kalmadi - Aug 16, 2011
- High court rejects case against Hazare trusts - Jan 06, 2012
- Kanda sent to 7 days police custody (Third Lead) - Aug 18, 2012
- Father, uncle booked for honour killing in Maharashtra - Apr 09, 2012
- Rape-accused NCP legislator held in Mumbai (Lead) - Feb 27, 2011
- Suspended IPS officer's judicial custody extended - Feb 29, 2012
Tags: anna hazare, city police, crore, defamation case, housing and urban development, housing minister, housing scheme, housing society, jain, judicial magistrate, maharashtra, mandal, municipal commissioner, nationalist congress party, police police, police sources, sessions court, shiv sena, tenements, urban development corporation