Police swoop on protest venue, Ramdev taken away (Lead)June 5th, 2011 - 5:13 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 5 (IANS) Hundreds of police personnel swooped on the protest venue of yoga guru Ramdev here early Sunday and removed him after clashes with his supporters that left the Ramlila ground in shambles and his supporters bruised and angry.
In an operation that had clearly been well planned, a large number of Delhi Police and anti-riot force overwhelmed the sprawling tented colony after midnight Saturday, taking most people at the venue unawares.
But Delhi Police insisted that Ramdev, who went on hunger strike at the ground Saturday morning against corruption, said the yoga guru had not been arrested but served an externment order to quit Delhi. “He left the place voluntarily,” an officer said.
His own supporters contested this, saying Ramdev was forcibly taken away after clashes with hundreds of people who had been spending the night with the yoga guru through the night.
- Police end Ramdev's anti-corruption protest, yoga guru removed (Second Lead) - Jun 05, 2011
- Ramdev aide calls crackdown 'state terrorism' - Jun 05, 2011
- Midnight action breaks up Ramdev's anti-corruption fast - Jun 05, 2011
- Police break up Ramdev's anti-corruption fast, protest venue cleared (Third Lead) - Jun 05, 2011
- Ramlila ground wears deserted look after police operation - Jun 05, 2011
- Prohibitory orders around Ramlila Ground - Jun 05, 2011
- Democracy throttled, Hazare says - Jun 05, 2011
- Ramdev banned from entering Delhi for 15 days - Jun 05, 2011
- Civil society members condemn police action against Ramdev - Jun 05, 2011
- Midnight crackdown on Ramdev gives government nightmares (Roundup) - Jun 05, 2011
- Delhi braces for another Ramdev protest - Aug 08, 2012
- CCTV footage of Ramdev crackdown seized for probe: Police - Jun 07, 2011
- Midnight swoop on Ramdev gives government nightmares (Intro Roundup) - Jun 05, 2011
- It is an attack on democracy: BJP - Jun 05, 2011
- Ramdev aide seeks inquiry into police action - Jun 05, 2011