Police rescue kidnapped NRI, one heldAugust 14th, 2010 - 12:19 pm ICT by IANS
Hoshiarpur, Aug 14 (IANS) The Punjab Police Saturday claimed to have rescued a 17-year-old Non Resident Indian, who holds US citizenship, from kidnappers in a village in Hoshiarpur district and arrested one of the kidnappers.
Gagandeep Singh was abducted from Adampur town in Jalandhar district Tuesday. His family received a ransom demand of Rs.55 lakh for his release.
The teenager, who was rescued late Friday, was studying in Class 10 in a private school in Adampur town.
“We were trying to ascertain the location of the kidnappers through the surveillance of mobile towers. Based on the inputs, we laid a trap near Doaba-Bist canal in Khanora village here at around 11.50 p.m. yesterday (Friday),” said a police official.
“We saw three motorcycle borne youths crossing that area. We intercepted them and found that two kidnappers were taking Gagandeep to some other place on their motorcycle. We managed to arrest one of them while the other escaped, taking advantage of darkness. The boy has been handed over to his family members,” the official said.
Gagandeep was staying in Adampur with his mother Santosh Kaur. Earlier, they were based in the US but after his father’s death a couple of years ago, the family came to Punjab.
“After coming back from school Tuesday, Gagandeep took Rs.500 and went to a grocery shop. But he did not return,” said Onkar Singh, the victim’s relative.
“We got many calls from the kidnappers about the delivery of money. Yesterday, we kept traveling from one place to another as they were frequently changing the locations for the delivery of money,” stated Singh.
Hoshiarpur town is around 130 km from Chandigarh.
- Teenaged NRI boy abducted in Punjab - Aug 12, 2010
- More arrests likely in Punjab honour killing - Jul 25, 2010
- Father arrested for daughter's honour killing (Lead) - Jul 25, 2010
- Dowry death: Four booked in Punjab - Jul 01, 2011
- Suspected 'honour killing', three held (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Father arrested for killing daughter - Jul 24, 2010
- Child killer couple want to have own baby - Apr 11, 2010
- On wedding trip, NRI kills wife - Mar 16, 2011
- 'How can they bear a child after snatching someone's son?' (Lead) - Apr 11, 2010
- Five-year-old kidnapped in Chandigarh - Dec 23, 2010
- 80 houses gutted in Himachal (Second Lead) - Dec 24, 2011
- Dalit woman paraded naked in Punjab, one held - Aug 16, 2010
- Punjab village ends up voting for wrong constituency - Feb 26, 2012
- Five-year-old boy kidnapped in Chandigarh (Lead) - Dec 23, 2010
- Bank manager in gang booked for making false statements - Jul 26, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,