Police rescue 25 minor girls from Bihar fairFebruary 14th, 2012 - 1:35 am ICT by IANS
Patna, Feb 14 (IANS) Police rescued 25 minor girls who were forced to dance naked at a theatre in a rural fair near the Indo-Nepal border in Bihar’s Araria district and arrested 44 people under human trafficking charges during a raid, police Monday said.
Araria Superintendent of Police Shivdeep Lande said that minor girls were forced to dance naked, not only for entertainment but to “attract good buyers” from outside the state.
“Police have been investigating it by interrogating rescued the minor girls and arrested people,” Lande said.
All the rescued minor girls have been handed over to the district children’s welfare committee for rehabilitation.
According to him, the rescued girls are from neighbouring areas and from Nepal.
Lande told IANS over telephone that all the girls are minors and arrested people are from Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Nepal and other parts of Bihar. “It appears to be a part of a big human trafficking racket.”
Some locals alleged that the minor girls, mostly from poor of the poorest families were forced into flesh trade.
Lande admitted that human trafficking racket was going on in various pockets along the Indo-Nepal border, particularly in Araria, about 350 km from here.
The state government has repeatedly claimed that it has initiated measaures to check human trafficking.
- 10 missing girl students found pushed into flesh trade - Aug 04, 2012
- Poor woman in Bihar sells child for Rs.62, cops begin probe - Jul 15, 2012
- Bihar woman missing after selling child for Rs.62 - Jul 16, 2012
- Industrialist faces arrest for attack on journalist - Mar 03, 2012
- Bihar destitute woman is missing - Jul 17, 2012
- Six Nepali kids rescued in Uttar Pradesh - Oct 22, 2010
- Woman who sold child found - still starving - Jul 19, 2012
- Hunt for NGO directors after tubectomies on 53 women - Jan 10, 2012
- BJP legislator accused of threatening official - Feb 19, 2012
- Two Nepali women nabbed with cannabis - Dec 25, 2010
- Two human traffickers held in Chhattisgarh - Apr 28, 2011
- Two human traffickers arrested - May 18, 2011
- Human trafficker held in Chhattisgarh - Nov 11, 2011
- Seven girls rescued from red light area - Aug 13, 2010
- Couple arrested for harassing minor maids - Apr 27, 2012
Tags: feb 14, flesh trade, human trafficking, indo nepal, lande, locals, minor girls, neighbouring areas, patna, pockets, police rescue, raid police, state government, state police, superintendent, uttar pradesh, welfare committee